Just took my first test drive in a 2014

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldGeek

So far, it is exactly what we are looking for in a car at this price point.
  • Cargo is good.
  • Road noise is acceptable.
  • Seats are comfortable for short trips.
  • Visibility is good.
  • What info that the dash displays is clear.
  • Some controls could be placed more logically.
  • The drivers side visor was loose and would not hold its position.

A good first drive.

Tomorrow, I'll drive the equivalent of my commute distance to work and see what charge I have left and see if I can get home with 8 hours of level 1 charge.

Hey Sean - yes, that last point is critical. Having a L1 charging spot for the day at your workplace is a game-changer. It not only lets you tack on at least 25 miles more range, it also means you can pre-cool and (to a lesser extent) pre-heat the cabin (lesser because L1 isn't quite enough juice to run the heater full blast, but it will definitely help); such pre-conditioning is a major energy saver.

Glad to hear you've enjoyed what you've seen of the car so far. As you might imagine, many here are quite fond of it :D, and thread titles like this always get our attention. You've probably browsed some of what's here to gauge others' experiences, but is there anything in particular you're wondering about that you haven't seen discussed already? I'm sure there'll be someone reading that can share what they've learned.

Vike said:
is there anything in particular you're wondering about that you haven't seen discussed already? I'm sure there'll be someone reading that can share what they've learned.

Thanks Vike.

Couple of un-found answers:
  • Is there an app that shows charge state or a way to get a text when the car is fully charged?
  • What controls / features come with the USB port and where is it when installed?

Thanks!

OldGeek said:
Vike said:
is there anything in particular you're wondering about that you haven't seen discussed already? I'm sure there'll be someone reading that can share what they've learned.

Thanks Vike.

Couple of un-found answers:
  • Is there an app that shows charge state or a way to get a text when the car is fully charged?

Perhaps OVMS:
9921607683_52ba594c89.jpg

See the thread:
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1786

• What controls / features come with the USB port and where is it when installed?
Is only for audio, AFAIK. You can select folders (or songs) from the audio system with a USB pen plugged in (or an iPod).

mitsubishi-i-miev-usb-audio-cable-kit-accessories-shop.jpg

Off Topic: your location appears "Loveland, CO, USA, Earth, Sol"; ¿why "Sol" and not "Sun"? ¿is "Sol" a word used in English? (just curious) :)

Barbagris said:
Off Topic: your location appears "Loveland, CO, USA, Earth, Sol"; ¿why "Sol" and not "Sun"? ¿is "Sol" a word used in English? (just curious) :)
Thanks! I'll Check out OVMS

I always thought that the formal name for our sun was Sol. Your question sent me searching and I just learned that it has no official name. So, my location is now slightly modified.

Thank you for the learning opportunity.

Sean: I don't know the length of your commute, so not sure if the car's range will fit you or not. However, using the newer power cord(on the 2014's), you should be able to get 5 miles range per hour charged. The 2012's had 8 amp capacity which worked out to about 3.5 miles per hour. The newer models allow for 12 amps if you want it. For most people, 40 miles per day is well within their range. You will see distinct and sometimes severe reduction in range in the winter compared to the summer. For example, in the Phila area winter we just had here, I was seeing accurate ranges of about 62-63 miles, NOT using any heat. That was not pleasant, as when it hits 10 degrees F, you want that heat on full blast. Just yestereay, temps were in the mid 80's and my range was closer to 90 miles! This is all city and suburban streets with stop and go traffic, averaging 35-40 MPH. No high speed freeways, for example. if you do have access to 120V 12 amps outlet and can pug in, if your commute is anything close to 40 miles or less, you will do great.
Lou

klindholm said:
Can you share the price they were asking in Loveland?
I just glanced at the window sticker, but I think it was approximately 22,000 + 500 for transport from the origenal dealer in the Pac NW who had it first. This is the first iMiEV that Fort Collins Mitsubishi has had on the lot. many more are comming.

gatedad11 said:
Sean: I don't know the length of your commute, so not sure if the car's range will fit you or not. However, using the newer power cord(on the 2014's), you should be able to get 5 miles range per hour charged. The 2012's had 8 amp capacity which worked out to about 3.5 miles per hour. The newer models allow for 12 amps if you want it. For most people, 40 miles per day is well within their range. You will see distinct and sometimes severe reduction in range in the winter compared to the summer. For example, in the Phila area winter we just had here, I was seeing accurate ranges of about 62-63 miles, NOT using any heat. That was not pleasant, as when it hits 10 degrees F, you want that heat on full blast. Just yestereay, temps were in the mid 80's and my range was closer to 90 miles! This is all city and suburban streets with stop and go traffic, averaging 35-40 MPH. No high speed freeways, for example. if you do have access to 120V 12 amps outlet and can pug in, if your commute is anything close to 40 miles or less, you will do great.
Lou
Hi Lou,

Thanks for the input.

My commute is 42 miles along the foothills of the Rockies through 2 urban areas. There is an even mix of city speed and 65 mph road. The length of the commute is doable.

Unfortunately, I just learned today that my office will be moving this year. The most likely location of the new office will have no charging opportunities. This will likely improve within the year.

I think that I will still buy the car, but my wife will use it for her commute for the first year or so.

Sean: 42 miles commute is doable, but is at the edge of practicality. if the commute were done at 35-45 MPH speeds, then you'd be fine. It seems like you are within that range if it's city/subrban routes. But in the winter, if using the heater, you could be really pushing it...

Lou

OldGeek said:
My commute is 42 miles along the foothills of the Rockies through 2 urban areas. There is an even mix of city speed and 65 mph road. The length of the commute is doable.
42 miles one-way with 120vac charging at work is no problem for those conditions.

OldGeek said:
Unfortunately, I just learned today that my office will be moving this year. The most likely location of the new office will have no charging opportunities. This will likely improve within the year.
Suss out the new location, as there may be hidden charging opportunities - and there's always the possibility of cutting a deal with a local resident to allow you to charge.

OldGeek said:
I think that I will still buy the car, but my wife will use it for her commute for the first year or so.
You're had - once she starts driving the i-MiEV, you'll never see it again! :roll:

Back