Test Drive Checklist

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgasparik

Went to local dealer today to look at new 2014 model. Unfortunately, the car had just been received and was not ready. Anyway, can anyone suggest a few items to check upon doing a test drive?

Also, dealer was unable to even give a ballpark on a 24 month lease. Does anyone have an idea of lease prices yet?

Before you test drive, make sure the I-Miev's range and chagring needs meets your circumstances. If so, look at all the EVs available to you. Make sure it has the options you want. Pick the one you like and can afford. The test drive will be much like any other test drive.

If you've never driven an EV before, the test drive will truly be an eye opening experience - No checklist needed . . . . the car will sell itself to you without any of us telling you what to look for!

Don

Don said:
If you've never driven an EV before, the test drive will truly be an eye opening experience - No checklist needed . . . . the car will sell itself to you without any of us telling you what to look for!
+1

If you must...

Note the SILENCE.
Note the interior spaciousness, despite the i-MiEV's small external size. Put the back seats down and note the completely flat floor with more cubic-foot capacity than almost any other EV out there (except the Tesla).
Note how easy it is to get in-and-out.
Except for the headrests, note the great visibility. The headrests come off in seconds and I usually keep mine off unless I have passengers.
Note the terrific tight turning radius (almost like a London taxi) - great for in-city and parking maneuvering.
Don't be afraid to floor it to see how zippy the car really is, especially at speeds <40mph
Take her up to 80mph on the Interstate and see how she feels.
Go on a curvy road and check out the handling.
Note the full manual control you have over regeneration with the three 'shift' positions, and note the terrific regen in "B" - you only need to use the brakes when coming to a final stop below 10mph.
Finally, stick you mouth over the exhaust pipe and breathe deeply - to remind yourself that perhaps that's a priority? :mrgreen:

Thanks for the suggestions. Did the test drive today. I am ready to move on this car but am stalled waiting for lease information. The dealer said maybe Mitsubishi would create a lease deal in the next few weeks. I guess I can wait a little while before considering something else...

I don't recall that Mitsu offered any leases at all until it became obvious that they had a glut of unsold 2012's still around in the spring of 2013

Since they are apparently going to build far fewer 2014's and at a much slower rate, it wouldn't surprise me if they never offer them for lease at all. You can wait a spell if you like and see if anything changes, but don't be shocked if we never see the super lease deals on the 2014's like they were offering a year ago on the unsold 2012's

Don

Back