It's Pretty Lonely Here!

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AP1

Wow, compared to the Nissan Leaf forum, this place is deserted. Actually, it's plain deserted, period. Anyway, I hope this will be the first post of many to come. I have reserved, with deposits, both the Leaf and the i Miev and I will buy whichever one I can get first. However, I do prefer the i Miev since its range and size suit me better. The problem is that I get conflicting reports as to when the i Miev will be available, anywhere from this fall until sometime next year. Mitsubishi doesn't help things much by keeping so quiet. We get very little info as to how the US delivery schedule is progressing. Nissan's PR machine is far more developed. Anyway, hope to hear from others on this forum soon.

AP

Hi AP1 - yes it does seem lonely here, but hopefully that will change as more people here about the Mitsubishi I-miev!

Can you tell me about the registration process for the I-miev? How much did it cost? Once you completed it, did Mitsubishi give you any further details - like an estimated delivery date or?

Also, did Mitsubishi hint about the purchase process? The Nissan Leaf is purchased through a local Nissan dealership - will the I-miev be the same way, or will it be straight from the Mitsubishi mothership?

Thanks!

Good questions, Marta, and I wish I had good answers. I went to their site:

http://i.mitsubishicars.com/?ic=T_homepg-hero_100005_04012011

Clicked on "reserve Yours" and put down a deposit. They responded with an email once saying they received the deposit and that was it. Haven't heard from them since, even though they say you will be able to schedule a home inspection in June for a July time period. Nothing about delivery date or anything else.

They need to do better than that soon.

Wow - so Mitsubishi really IS the same as all other electric vehicle manufacturers - super slow to release details and slow at responging to potential customers. I would have thought that once you reserved the Mitsubishi I and plunked money down they would have given you some better details or info or dates or something!

That's wishful thinking - just because Mitsubishi took a long time to get the Mitsubishi i-Miev to North America doesn't mean too much. Look at how slow the Nissan Leaf is being produced, and it still has problems (not many, and mostly with the software probably due to lack of real world testing).

I guess the Mitsubishi i-Miev has been available in other parts of the world for over a year so that should really help with dependability since it's had real world testing, and Mitsubishi has had a change to make tweaks and changes to it.

The release dates for the iMiEV are:
California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington: Finalize your order by: 10/1/11, receive it by: 1/31/12

Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Virginia: Finalize your order by: 1/1/12, receive it by: 4/30/12

Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Kentucky, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas.
Finalize your order by: 8/1/12, receive it by: 11/30/12

Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Utah, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
Finalize your order by: 10/1/12, receive it by: 1/31/13

Makes me want to move to California for a while just to get one a year earlier.

Where did you find that info? It's nice to finally see some actual dates related to the Mitsubishi i-Mievs release!

It is quiet here, and in our i-MiEVs too! :lol:

Seriously though, having a forum for vehicle owners is great, but when only around 15,000 have sold worldwide (and less than 600 in the US in 2012!), it's likely there's not going to be a lot of traffic.

I purchased my i with the AwEsOmE lease deal Mitsu had late January 2013. To get the great rate, I had to get an "ES" model -- no bells and whistles. While that doesn't bother me, I quickly found the i is quite a "hackable" car. The base radio is capable of having the USB port added with minimal effort. The missing rear speakers are added using some ingenuity since the wires are already in place!

So my posts are going to focus on "hacking" and "improving" the i. While I'm leasing my car (and NOT intending on purchasing it because battery technology will be much better in 2015), I can add some simple things to improve my 2-year-long experience with the vehicle.

So far Karin and me have met 3 other i-MiEVs (actually Citroen and Peugot) one of them on the road but none of them in private hands.

Yesterday at a county meeting somebody told us he had seen an electric car. It soon turned out it was ours :lol:

We have bought ours. From what I have seen of conversions and other electric cars, a conversion is cheaper than an electric car who was borne electric. Some electric cars do become conversions nonetheless. I have seen a Peugot 106 who could run 500 km on a single charge. His new owner replaced the dead led acids with new LiPos. I dont know what else he did - but 500 km :roll:

I have seen the birth cry of a battery that will get us 5 times the capacity probably in less than 5 years. I dont need a new car then, just the batteries. Electric cars make the best conversions. Most of the work is already done and most of the things inside will last forever. Karin and me have had 2 ICE chars in 26 years. They both survived 13 years.

With my own car I feel better as far as ruthlessly hacking it goes. I am looking at another power inlet in the front for both charging and heating. Ours does not heat while charging and we have spent nights in the dark and in the cold while charging. DC charging from 3 phase AC and solar power is another thing in my mind.

Back