best way to advertise an us model se imiev for export

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braineo

Just purchased my imiev SE taking advantage of federal and state tax credits, but at the same time considering buying a mercedes B Class electric. To afford that I must sell / export my brand new 2012 iMiev with 1,000 miles in the odometer and with full 3 year Mitsubishi factory warranty. What is the best way to sell is vehicle to other left side driver country?

Your warranty isn't likely to be valid in another country. This alone would make it difficult for you to sell your car for a decent price to a purchaser in another country. You'd probably net more by selling it quickly in the U.S. before the less expensive 2014 models arrive. But you'll probably take a bath regardless.

Good luck in cracking that nut. I've seen no successes in flipping new EVs for profit, due to the falling new EV prices and crazy lease offers. I'd consider an EV purchase only as a long term investment. Long term test driving is what leases are for.

In my country I can not register an American i-Miev. I can an European one (German, French, Portuguese...)

Are different ¿certification standards? (not sure the word).

Barbagris said:
Are different ¿certification standards? (not sure the word).
I'm sure there are. It's next to impossible to register a car built to European standards here in the USA and often the reasons seem a bit trivial. It could be something as minor as the flame spread rate on the upholstery fabric used on the seats

Every country/region has it's own safety standards - Some make more sense than others

Don

In 2009, I imported my U.S.-spec 2000 Honda Insight hybrid into Sweden. The only modification I had to make was to disconnect the yellow side running lights in the front turn signals. Sweden (or maybe the E.U.) allows only white front running lights. My Insight continues to pass the rigorous annual Swedish safety inspection with no further modifications necessary.

Maybe registering a newer U.S. car in the E.U. is more difficult now. But being unable to register a U.S. i-MiEV in the E.U. is surprising because the i-MiEV has been designed to be a world car. The additional width and more substantial bumpers of the North American version shouldn't disqualify it in the E.U.

Any U.S. model car can be imported into the EU. The car goes through the approval process (homologation), as Mart wrote. If the car does not fulfill any of the technical safety requirements, the buyer is required to make modifications to the vehicle. Then the car is re-examined and if everything is in order, it obtains a certificate of approval, so called homologation. I can see some US models on streets although they were never offered here.

we are talking about 22k USD FOB Atlanta for an SE with every option, including chademo, tinted windows and only 1,000 miles on the odometer. Perfect for Norway, Iceland, Estonia, Switzerland, Netherlands.

I guess better for the USA since the EVSE supplied with the car doesn't work in Norway, Iceland, Estonia, Switzerland, Netherlands.

I think the problem selling it here will be the price. Many people bought that same model brand new for $15K or less, with the $10K Mitsu rebate, the $7.5K Federal tax credit added to the various state rebates, so why pay $22K for a used one? Probably why he's thinking of selling it overseas, though transportation and import duties may add significantly to what a foreign owner would actually have to pay

Don

Not everyone has access to the 7.5k federal tax credit, i just wanted to test the waters since most countries have a tremendous amount of taxes and dealer costs that inflate the price to over $50k. Also the US model is bigger and have better trim and options than other. I also including an updated EVSE 110/220v that can be used anywhere. http://evseupgrade.com

update, wife is warming up to Barney, our iMiev. she is beginning to appreciate the differences from. bluSky, our Leaf. Our kids amd grandkids are calling it Meep-Meep and some say its cute. He might be a keeper.

Back