Second Hand (Used) i-Miev Buying Guide

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinwinlow

Hello.

I am off to see a used 2009 i-Miev (UK spec) on Monday. It has 9k miles on it and the dealer is asking £10k. What do people think of this price?

Aside from the cost/worth issue, is there anything you think I should cover that is specific to the i-Miev?

I heard the recent announcement that the US 2014 Miev is going to be some US$6k cheaper. Do people think this will also happen in Europe and, if so, could I reasonably be looking for a significant discount on the used Miev on this basis alone?

Lastly, does anyone have a link to the 2009 UK brochure or a comprehensive list of what I should be getting for my money?

Regards, MW.

The mentioned price is acceptable for this mileage but not so attractive for 4 years old car. Maybe it wouldn't be bad idea to test drive it and check the battery live with Canion app and appropriate OBD reader. You can find a lot info here about it.

Regarding 2014 price drop, it is planned to offer cheaper I-mievs in EU too, but nobody knows when it will happen nor what the price will be.

martinwinlow said:
Hello.

I am off to see a used 2009 i-Miev (UK spec) on Monday...

Hello.

Apparently, there are some iMiev's "first generation" on the UK market at 2009. Those are "no compatible" with actual public chargers, and you are limited to recharge only with his EVSE in your home.

Take a look at:

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11320

Barbagris said:
Apparently, there are some iMiev's "first generation" on the UK market at 2009. Those are "no compatible" with actual public chargers, and you are limited to recharge only with his EVSE in your home.

Take a look at:

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11320

Yes, I have seen this before but it is nothing that can't be remedied with the right adaptor cable and I have made one for my Vectrix electric m/cycle that works fine with all the UK public EVSEs that I have tried so far, at least. But thanks for the info. The one I am seeing on Monday has ChaDeMo fitted apparently. So, it is probably not one of the type you thought it might be anyway.

Still after the original spec if anyone has it in PDF form…?

MW

I have tried other Peugeot dealers further afield and have found some (quite a number in fact) 2011 ions all ex-lease and all
with less than 2k miles and all for much the same price, £10k.

Does anyone have any info on the Peugeot variants Vs the i-Miev or are they really exactly the same?

MW

martinwinlow said:
Does anyone have any info on the Peugeot variants Vs the i-Miev or are they really exactly the same?

AFAIK, there are only two differences: the stereo sound equipment (double DIN in the i-Miev, DIN on the iOn) and the gear lever (with "D", "B" and "E" in the i-Miev, and only "D" on the iOn, but similar at the "B" on the i-Miev: big regeneration, one-pedal drive)

Can be a few minor differences, as the "Peugeot Services" on the iOn (red button, left at the central panel)

No mechanical/electrical differences.

5.jpg

5.jpg

I'm in the UK and have a Peugeot Ion - feel free to ask any questions about it. I paid £12,999 for it brand new, from Hawkins Motors near St. Austell. They sell both the Peugeot and Citroen versions.

Hi All,

Firstly, misterbleepy - sorry I didn't see your reply.

When did you buy yours? How many miles have you done, now?

Please see my other questions at the end of this post...

Hi,

I thought UK readers might be interested in the following (I have already posted this on the EVDL, BTW) ...

I bought an Ion (Peugeot's incarnation of the i-Miev and much easier to type) last Friday from Howard's Peugeot in Taunton. I paid £9k5 (still too much) for a July 2011 one with 3k4 miles. They retail new over here for £28k. They have more apparently if anyone is interested. I suspect they would take less than this. I am not a very good haggler. Contact is Martin Joseph - [email protected] - 01823 321321 - 1 Priorswood Rd, TA2 8DN. Nice chap and very efficient.

I then drove it to my Brother's in Dorset Friday night (charged) then back home 240 miles up M5, stayed overnight Saturday at my Sister's (charged again), then on Sunday, M4, North Circular and A10. In the end I used 6 Ecotricity ChaDeMo chargers located at motorway service areas (MSAs) at Bridgewater, Sedgemoor, Aust (by the Old (!) Severn Bridge), Membury, Burghfield and Heston. The longest distance travelled was between Heston and home (47 miles) and I had about 3 miles on the range dial remaining - though I gather there's a good 5 miles in 'reserve' at reduced power.

Had I done the return, direct, 225 mile trip in one go, it would have taken about 8 hours - 7 if all the chargers had worked. As it was, one at Bridgewater and another at Sedgemoor were not working. I nearly had to queue at Sedgemoor (Leaf)! PM Cameron is going to have to do something to bolster Ecotricity's valiant fast-charge network efforts if he is serious about EVs. At a bare minimum EVERY ONE of the 110 existing MSAs plus another 90 or so (to service the non-motorway parts of the country), needs at least 2 ChaDeMo chargers per direction - more as EVs become more common. This would cost barely £4m initially for the chargers - more, obviously, to install them. But not much considering the £500m pot the UK government has already provided for help in buying new EVs in the UK - £30m for grants of up to £5k per new EV - although the grants side of things is being phased out soon. Ecotricity have quite a good map of their chargers here… http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/for-the-road/our-electric-highway

Meanwhile, in doing any sort of trip that is out of the ordinary, you have to plan, quite carefully, your route, checking up to 4 or more web sites for latest charger status, location etc. If we knew that all the motorway service areas had at least 2 fast chargers, you would not need to plan ahead other than to check the next MSA is within range.

Of course, given that ChaDeMo chargers are supposed to be phased out of the EU in 2019, what is going to replace them? No sign of the EU version of the CCS yet. I don't think they have even decided a standard!

As for the Ion, generally, I am very pleased with the car. It is nicely equipped for such an unprepossessing little thing, comfortable in a basic sort of way, quite nippy and wonderfully smooth to drive. The Ion (and C-Zero) version has only P, R, N and D, as opposed to more flexible regen-optimised options on the i-Miev, but they have managed to get the regen to work very well, IMO, with the accelerator and brake pedal - almost seamless. Very easy to pop into N at the lights so you can take your foot off the brake, too.

Good lights - the main beams appear to be projector halogens - with equally effective good front and rear fog lights, front running lights and an auto light switch position to bring on side and dipped main automatically according to ambient external light. Front (13W) running lights come on with the ignition and are under the same lens as the front fog lights. The rear side and brake lights are LED. It has a high level brake light, again LED.

Max acceleration is really quite acceptable. I haven't done my own 0-60 test yet but I gather it can be done in just under 10 seconds with just the driver on board.

I have been commuting the 40 miles and back to work this last week or so and find that with resonable use of the heater I getting about 15 miles remaining (so 20 probably including the 'turtle mode reserve') when I get home. It is also taking about 12kWh to charge it back up which tallys quite nicely with the miles remaining. SO, range generally about 60 miles at 60 mph with no heating or A/C - much as I had previously read.

So, having done 550 miles or so, some Q's for those who may know…

Is there any way to get the US version's remote, cabin pre-conditioning facility on the European version? It must be a simple mod to the car's firmware and suitable radio transmitter/receiver? Likewise, why do we have to sit in the cold when fast-charging? Bearing in mind that the A/C comes on anyway when connected to the ChaDeMo, why can't we have some heat as well?

Does anyone have any info on the built-in telematics? I have already bought a OVMS module but not yet fitted it. I gather the standard built-in Peugeot Assistance system has location info (GPS?) already and no doubt other information sent via a built in GSM system. Why can't we access that instead of having to install another system? (Is its antenna under the panel next to the aerial above the windscreen?)

Any information on installing an alternative entertainment system would be appreciated. There is already an aftermarket bluetooth connected Android app to access the car's CAN bus data - called caniOn… https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=emobility.canion&hl=en Would be nice to be able to have it displayed in place of the stock bluetooth-equipped radio - tho it is quite a good one. (I have made some progress on this since I first drafted this post... more to follow later but I have put some trim and radio pics on the http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=509&hilit=stereo&start=40 thread.

Has anyone used a Mennekes to J1772 converter to charge their i-miev? I used a 'non-standard' one when I got stuck on the M5 with one of the Ecotricity chargers and, whilst it appeared to work fine, the engineer on their help line asked me to disconnect it saying 'it shouldn't work'… Hmmm. I have a British Gas POLAR EVSE at home which I ordered anticipating buying a Zoe. In the end the Zoe's battery rental was a deal-breaker for me and now that I have the Ion, the 2 are not compatible - tho I am using my 'adaptor' in the meantime to charge normally. It would be a lot easier using the proper 'thing'. Having all that charging info done for you on the POLAR web site is very helpful.

Does anyone have any info on the possibility of timing a charge (ideally remotely) so I can use Eco7 power - short of using a mains timer? I gather, the American version gets this as standard, too.

Has anyone wired up a 'dash' cam? Installing the power to the camera behind the rear-view mirror is quite a job.. Is there power any closer than under the dash? If not, any ideas on removing the necessary trim without causing any damage? (Again, see above link to fitting an aftermarket stereo)

Does anyone have a workshop manual on a CD? (On ebay.com.au but won't automatically ship to UK!)

Is the built-in bluetooth mike located in the rear-view mirror base? (yes, it is - my pics as above)

Lastly, can a moderator move this thread to the more appropriate 'Buying/Leasing the iMiev', please?

Regards, MW

martinwinlow said:
Lastly, can a moderator move this thread to the more appropriate 'Buying/Leasing the iMiev', please?
Done. (sorry, I had missed that)

Martin, congratulations on your iMiEv purchase and thank you for your initial driving impressions. Perhaps those responding to your specific technical questions could either tack onto existing threads or create new ones in the appropriate categories? Make it easier to find in the future... :geek:

martinwinlow said:
Hi All,

Firstly, misterbleepy - sorry I didn't see your reply.

When did you buy yours? How many miles have you done, now?

I got mine in April 2013, and so far have done just over 5000 miles in it.

martinwinlow said:
Has anyone used a Mennekes to J1772 converter to charge their i-miev? I used a 'non-standard' one when I got stuck on the M5 with one of the Ecotricity chargers and, whilst it appeared to work fine, the engineer on their help line asked me to disconnect it saying 'it shouldn't work'… Hmmm. I have a British Gas POLAR EVSE at home which I ordered anticipating buying a Zoe. In the end the Zoe's battery rental was a deal-breaker for me and now that I have the Ion, the 2 are not compatible - tho I am using my 'adaptor' in the meantime to charge normally. It would be a lot easier using the proper 'thing'. Having all that charging info done for you on the POLAR web site is very helpful.

I have a Mennekes to J1772 lead, and I have used it once to charge via a Chargemaster thing at Waitrose in Saltash (the furthest east the car has ever travelled). The only problem with this lead is it's hard to get the J1772 end seated fully in the car's socket - I need to lightly file some metal off the latch at the top of the plug.

Unfortunately I am out of range of any of the UK's ChaDeMo chargers, so I am just using Level 2 charging at home (I have the same British Gas POLAR EVSE that you do by the souind of it), and occasionally public charge points when I can find them - they're not that common this far west, though I have my eye on the 2 chargers at the new Sainsburys in Penzance...

Back