35k MSRP?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantes

I don't get it how they priced the Miev for 35k msrp. And now they say that they are giving incentives, that means the car is not worth 35k against a tesla starting from 59k
It's like puting two smarts against an S Klasse, 2x16k against 95k.
It just not making sense.
And those 10k off from the dealer is like " look we are giving you 10 grand discounts!"
For me it's just a scam at this point, and that's why most of the dealers don't cary the MIEV because they know that too.

Don't forget that the $35,000 price tag is for the SE Premium, which is the top model i-MiEV. The non-premium SE is $31,125, and the ES is $29,125. The only "scam" in my opinion is $4,000 for the premium package.

Do you have an i-MiEV?

The Tesla Model S does not start at $59k; it now starts at $71k before any tax credits. Tesla discontinued the 40 kWh Model S after taking preorders for this model thus increasing the purchase price for those who had preordered. Is that a scam?

Manufacturers price their cars for what they think they can sell them. I think Mitsubishi priced the i-MiEV SE Premium too high and provided this car to reviewers who panned its high price. So with increased competition, Mitsubishi is offering a $10,000 incentive to dealers who have been passing most of it on to customers.

I bought my i-MiEV non-premium SE prior to this incentive being offered, although the dealer offered me a considerable discount off MSRP. I considered my purchase price fair when I bought it and don't feel the least bit scammed.

When I heard they were offering $6,000 off in February, I jumped on mine. I would have gladly paid sticker for it after about another month of saving.

Six months later, I still think this car's worth every penny, most of which I'll save in fuel and maintenance in 10 years and "earn" back.

I paid $29150, minus $1250 dealer discount, minus the $7500 federal tax credit. I got down to about $21000, for a car that no one else could equal. (The leaf cam close, but was about $7k more at the time). Unfortunately, the $10k discounts were not being offered in my area, but I bought before they were offered anyway. I am still thrilled with my purchase as the car fits 90% of my driving needs. It saves me a ton on parking in NYC, and on gas. I have no regrets.

Even though I could afford a Tesla, I did not want a $70k bucket of batteries depreciating like crazy. I'm happier with my $21k bucket.

What is all this talk about scam?

Have had my iMiev for several months now. Love it! No regrets. This car is well engineered. The only wish I have would have been better crash safety even if that meant lower range. It's now my daily driver.

dantes said:
I don't get it how they priced the Miev for 35k msrp.
Generally, you price something for about what it cost you to make it, plus a little extra so you make a profit. For something brand spanking new, you also need to try to recoup some of the R & D money you spent designing the vehicle. For a car which you don't expect will sell hundreds of thousands, that may tack a sizeable chunk of money onto the price of each car you build
For me it's just a scam at this point
How did you get scammed? You didn't buy anything . . . . did you? Since you're not an owner, you don't know have any idea what it's worth. I was pretty happy on day one for what I got for my $30K and now 15 months and 12,000 miles later I'm at least twice as happy - It's easily the best new car I've ever bought. The tens of millions Mitsu spent designing one of the first mass marketed EV's resulted in a truly great car - I hope they sell enough of them to get that money back, but I expect it will take several years

It should be pretty obvious from the replies here that nearly everyone who did buy (and many of us did pay about $30K or even a little more) are pretty happy with our purchase now many months later

It would appear that this probably isn't the car for you. Don't get scammed! Don't buy one!!

Don

dantes said:
I don't get it how they priced the Miev for 35k msrp. And now they say that they are giving incentives, that means the car is not worth 35k against a tesla starting from 59k
It's like puting two smarts against an S Klasse, 2x16k against 95k.
It just not making sense.
And those 10k off from the dealer is like " look we are giving you 10 grand discounts!"
For me it's just a scam at this point, and that's why most of the dealers don't cary the MIEV because they know that too.
Not sure what any of that means, but AutoTrader shows just 53 new 2012 i-MiEV's left in the country, and many are listed with the $10,000 discount.
If you can take the $7,500 federal tax credit when you file your taxes next year, that puts your cost in the $13k to $18k range.

Surprisingly, searching AutoTrader and other sites, there are less than 10 used i-MiEV's for sale; one for $15k, and the others in the $18-20k range.

dantes said:
I don't get it how they priced the Miev for 35k msrp....For me it's just a scam at this point...
Since nobody else is stating the obvious in the face of such suspiciously ignorant blather, let me just say thanks ever so much for trolling! :lol:

It's an aspect of online forums in which we're normally sadly lacking, so it's nice to feel like we're a grown-up part of the internet too.

Back