Out of state purchase/shipping advice?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthewsre

I am in the process of purchasing an I-MiEV from out of state and having it shipped to me. Initially they wanted me to handle the shipping from them, but I halted everything until the shipping is ironed out. Does this sound normal? Any advice in regards to what I should have them send me before finishing the process and making sure things are as they seem with no surprises? Anyone been through a process like this before?

I test drove one and came back the day after it was sold and haven't had much luck finding one with the package I am looking for so this looks to be the only option for me. If I deal with a local dealership that orders it for me they want to inflate the price opposed to me dealing with the out of state dealership directly. I will post a separate thread about my comparison to MiEV vs Leaf test drives (spoiler: I am trying to hunt down the right MiEV :) )

Thank you in advance for any info!

Matthewsre said:
I am in the process of purchasing an I-MiEV from out of state and having it shipped to me. Initially they wanted me to handle the shipping from them, but I halted everything until the shipping is ironed out. Does this sound normal? Any advice in regards to what I should have them send me before finishing the process and making sure things are as they seem with no surprises? Anyone been through a process like this before?

I test drove one and came back the day after it was sold and haven't had much luck finding one with the package I am looking for so this looks to be the only option for me. If I deal with a local dealership that orders it for me they want to inflate the price opposed to me dealing with the out of state dealership directly. I will post a separate thread about my comparison to MiEV vs Leaf test drives (spoiler: I am trying to hunt down the right MiEV :) )

Thank you in advance for any info!

Would love to see your comparison post.

Are you shipping the car from Hawaii?

I guess shipping might have been the wrong word as it is really "trucking" across the country. Didn't know where to start searching for a shipping company so I submitted my contact info through an aggregator website and have been getting bombarded with emails. I have plenty of quotes for shipping the car between $500 and $600, but I think I would rather have the car dealership setup the shipping and take a bunch of pictures of every inch of the vehicle before hand and have them sent to me so there would be some sort of proof if something were to happen to the vehicle in transit.

I will type up my comparison tomorrow and send you a link to it.

What is your location and where you buy it from?
I would pay the dealer to truck it.
You want to make sure you take delivery in your state, not the dealer because You will have to pay sale taxes there. Good luck. Let us know how it went.
Love to see your comparison vs Leaf. I did not test drive any other EV.

I recently used uShip (as seen on the TV show Shipping Wars) to ship an I-MiEV from a dealer in PA to my house in NJ. I had a good experience. $245.00. You can make all the arrangements on the Internet.

Thank you for all of the info! I was having it shipped from Sandy, Utah to Seattle, Washington. I got plenty of quotes ranging from $500 to $600. I decided to pull the plug on that deal today as I found a dealership closer to me that is handling having one shipped up from Eugene, Oregon. I ended up paying a little bit more for it (couple hundred bucks) than I would have through Utah, but I think this is worth not having to deal with the shipping on my own. Plus I have somewhere I can go to if I get mad about something or if it arrives with a bunch of scratches :p

Getting the Black SE + Premium package :)

I doubt I could even fuel my diesel-powered car hauler to Eugene and back for that kinda cash, but why not break the new i in with a nice CHAdeMO trip up I-5? ;) I can't wait to head down to Portland for the first time sans gas.
Good Luck, and care to compare black i's at the June 11th SEVA meeting?
-Jay

I still have a little bit of range anxiety that I have to get over before making a trip that long :p

Is this the meetup group at the coffee shop I found from a quick google search?

When
Tue, June 11, 6:30pm – 9:00pm
Where
Mosaic Community Coffee House, 4401 NE 2nd Ave, Seattle (directly behind NE 45th St. Dick's Drive-in ) (map)
Description
Owners' Show 'n Tell begins around 6:30 p.m. with a dozen or more electric vehicles on display followed by meeting ~7:00 p.m.

Information about SEVA and up-to-date event information can be found at: http://SEVA101.org.

If so I might try to swing by there after work :)

Back