Leather steering wheel and shifter knob in ES

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jz1

The brochure and Mitsubishi website both state the ES doesn't have a leather covered steering wheel or shifter knob. I went and looked at the car at a dealership that had several ES and SE models. The salesman told me that the ES does come with a leather covered steering wheel and shifter knob even though the website and brochure says otherwise. He wasn't just trying to tell me what I wanted to hear since I told him I wouldn't buy a car with any leather in it. He asked his boss and his boss said the same thing. From looking at the steering wheel and shifter knob in the ES and SE, they both appear to be identical. Both of them strike me as plastic rather than real leather. Do some ES models come with steering wheels and shifter knobs that look purely plastic with no stitching?

My ES has neither a leather-wrapped steering wheel nor a leather-wrapped shift knob. Mitsubishi's site even mentions the SE is the only one of those that has that standard.

Easy way (from the interior) or telling the difference between an ES and an SE: Brown interior and leather-wrapped items.

Thanks aarond12. The seats were black in their ES models, but the steering wheel and shifter knobs looked identical to the the SE models which had brown seats. Do your steering wheel and sfifter knob having stitching on them as if they're pretending to be leather? Or are they perfectly smooth? I tried to find some pictures of the ES interior online, but couldn't find any good pictures where I could really see the steering wheel that well.

I did a little more google image searching and I found pictures of what the ES steering wheel and shifter knob are supposed to look like. It's really weird the ES cars I looked at (two of them) had the leather covered bits. In the brochure it says it's not even possible to order the ES with leather covered stuff.

http://usedcarpics.s3.amazonaws.com/450BOUCHERVILLEMITSUBISHI/b4992615_16.jpg
http://usedcarpics.s3.amazonaws.com/450BOUCHERVILLEMITSUBISHI/b4992615_15.jpg
http://usedcarpics.s3.amazonaws.com/450BOUCHERVILLEMITSUBISHI/b4992615_3.jpg

We just bought a 2012 SE. It has leather wrapped steering wheel & shift knob. You can easily see the individual stitches and the fact that it is real thread. There is no question whatsoever that it might be something other than stitched. I suppose it might be fake leather, but I've never, ever seen "hand stitched" unless it were real leather.

With all the meat we humans eat, you'd think leather would be almost free.

The steering wheel on my car is just plain plastic. No "fake" threading or anything. The shift knob is smooth as well with a slight indented outline in the middle.

I put a soft-touch (and stinky!) wheel cover on my steering wheel, and the threads on the shifter match an aluminum shift knob I had from my previous car, so I swapped that out.

Back