Differences between SE and ES?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acensor

Just purchased (as I mentioned elsewhere in this group) a white/blue SE .
Have to wait a while to get it (being shipped from dealer 300 miles away.)

One thing odly enough that I can't find is a simple side-by-side
features comparsion so I can see exactly what I'm getting in the SE that isn't in the ES.
Can anyone send me to such a chart?
Or give me the main differences?
(As far as I can tell the main thing that jumps out is the upgraded sound system,
and some minor interior trim/finish issues.)

Alex

Here's what the SE has that the ES doesn't:

Upgraded interior (brown)
Silver interior accents with black radio (or black trim on the nav.)
Alloy wheels
Optional 2-tone white/blue paint
Fog lights with DRL
Premium package, which includes:
*Quick Charge Port
*Nav radio and backup cam
*USB port and bluetooth hands-free phone
*Battery warmer
*Steering Wheel Controls

For more and anything I missed, go to the following link and click "Compare Trims".

https://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/imiev/12/build.do

Thankfully, not all SE's had the 'Premium Package' - If your car doesn't, then it doesn't have the quick charge port for sure, as no SE's without it came equipped with the quick charge port

One of the biggest differences is the upgraded stereo with 8 speakers. That, the fog lights/DRL's and the alloy wheels were the big reason I bought the SE over the ES. The leather touches (steering wheel, shifter) are nice too

Don

PV1 said:
Here's what the SE has that the ES doesn't:

........For more and anything I missed, go to the following link and click "Compare Trims".

https://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/imiev/12/build.do

Thanks, to all you replied.

Looks like you missed in your SE features list "360-watt, AM/FM/CD /MP3-compatible deluxe audio system with 6 speakers" which is standard on the SE.

I'm 99.9% sure my SE, as Don suggested is possible, does NOT have the Premium package
so none of those bells & whistles.
-----
Questions regarding --
"Auto off/on headlight control
and
Halogen fog lights with DRL function."

What's Auto off/on? The car senses ambiant lighting and switches headlights off and on on its own?

What's that "DRL function?"

A pet peeve of mine on our older Subaru is the foglights can ONLY be turned on when the headlights are on too. Seems ridiculous as my take on foglights is you use them when you DON'T want the higher mounted headlights illuminating the mist in your direct line of vision with a distracting glow.
(Fortunatly we don't get a lot of fog where I live, as that setup make the foglights useless for my intended purpose. If we had lots of fog I'd have had to re-wire them to work independently.)
(Someone said its a weird federal regulation that the car NOT allow running with foglights only.)
Anyone with an SE know if they can turn on their foglights without the headlights?

As for the quick charge port (which it looks like I won't have):
I doubt we'd have much use for it in our expected pattern of use, and if I understand right, the batteries really don't like being quick charged and everytime you do that it costs longevity.

Alex

aarond12 said:
On the SE model, the fog lights ARE the DRL lights. :shock:

Yeah, since posting I figured out DRL means "daylight running lights."

I assume (or at least hope) the idea is that when you want to be more visible during the day (overcast days, or just ANYtime you want the protection of being more visible to oncoming traffic, etc, instead of turning on your headlights you turn on the DRLs which use less power.

Again, if the foglights won't come on without turning on the headlights, that linkage would IMO defeat the purpose of both the foglight function and the DRL function.

Anyone know if those fog/DRL lights ARE linked to the headlights?
(Guess I'll find out soon enough when my MiEV arrives, but curious.)

Alex

acensor said:
I'm 99.9% sure my SE, as Don suggested is possible, does NOT have the Premium package
so none of those bells & whistles.
If you look at the center of your dashboard and don't see a LCD, you can be 100% sure that you don't have the Premium package :)

acensor said:
What's Auto off/on? The car senses ambiant lighting and switches headlights off and on on its own?
Yes. Auto on/off is one of several positions on the headlight switch, so you can choose manual headlight control if you prefer.

aarond12 said:
On the SE model, the fog lights ARE the DRL lights. :shock:
On mine, they aren't. The DRL's are a miniature bulb and are on all the time the headlights are NOT on . . . . .you cannot turn them off. The foglights are a separate, much more powerful halogen bulb which are only on when the headlights ARE on, and only then if you manually turn them on. If you use the foglights, they automatically turn off whenever you use the high beam - They work in conjunction with the low beam headlights only, but you do have the option to either use them or not

Both bulbs are in the same housing, but they are completely different and function completely separate as well

Yes, the 'auto-on' feature turns on the headlights when it gets dark enough to need them, but I seldom use it as it has them coming on unnecessarily when going under overpasses and the like even though they aren't needed. The headlights also have an 'auto-off' feature, so even if you accidently leave them on when you exit the car, they go off on their own

Don

The base ES has the auto-off, as well. Before (I park outside now) I would pull in the garage at night, and when I went to get out, I would leave the parking lights on, only to have them shut off when I opened the door.

I think what they meant by the fog lights are the DRL's is that the DRL's are built into the foglight housing.

Sorry, I forget to put that the premium package is an option. If you don't get this, you'll get a black version of the ES radio (little LCD screen), but it's more powerful and drives 8 speakers. I care neither for that much sound or DRLs, so I didn't get the SE. If people can't see me coming, I hit them (with the hi-beams. :lol: :lol: just kidding!)

PV1 said:
If people can't see me coming, I hit them with the hi-beams.
I forgot to mention that the ES auto turns off the parking lights. Good catch.

The last time I hit someone with high-beams was on my motorcycle. They thought that was the "go ahead" signal and T-boned me. :evil:

Back