Have 2 toddlers / looking to buy the i - what car seats fit?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MitsuJoe

One is 3 in April and the other is 1 in June. The forward facing seat is a no brainier. I am concerned about a back facing seat and having my wife sit in the front passenger seat. Has anyone had any experience with this and might have a few pictures to share? Thanks!

It may depend on how tall you and/or your wife are? The front seats are very roomy for tall people (like 6'-4" to 6'-7") but if the front seats are not that far back, then I can fit in the back (I'm 6'-4").

The best thing to do is to go to a dealer and try fitting your child seats in the back seat.

We have a six year old that sits in a booster seat. At first we had the seat back installed, but he's grown enough to where we have taken those off. I can get you pictures tonight to see what it looks like. I would do like what Neil suggested and bring your car seat to the dealership to see how it will fit. At the age of your little ones, they are probably still in the large child seats. If you are 6' 4" tall, like I am - your front seat will be all the way back. I'm thinking the car seat will fit but there won't be any room between the front seat and the child seat.

I felt compelled as another 6'4" i driver, to put in my 76 inches worth ...

We have a 7 and 11 year olds, the younger sits in a booster and hasn't ever had trouble, even with me in front of her. I guess that a backward facing seat would fit, unless the person in front has the seat all the way back and reclined (even for me, I don't need to recline in the i like I do in other cars because of it's tall stature, so it should be less of an issue). Before we bought the car (I do this in any car to judge space), I set the front seat for me to drive comfortably, and then sat in the seat behind it to see how legroom was. Headroom is great, legroom was a little tight, but not impossible.

In the old days, we were able to fit a rear facing baby seat in a Ford Focus ... and I don't think, front to back, the i is any smaller.

I am 6' and the wife is 5' 6".

We are looking at this seat which is rear facing -

http://www.combiusa.com/Products/Item.aspx?Item=12

If anyone has real world experience it would be great. Currently the dealer does not have any in stock but has an amazing lease option that is making it hard to say No - unless of course we cannot fit a rear facing seat.

What part of the country do you live in? Maybe there is an i MiEV owner near you. Possibly not, but worth a shot.

I noticed in the video for the car seat they are using a Toyota Corolla for the demo. I went to the Toyota web site and found I could compare a Corolla with an i MiEV. Selecting Measurements, you can see how big a Corolla is to an i MiEV.

From this assesment, I think it will fit but it could be tight. Worth trying out before you buy, though.

I am in Michigan. The dealer I am looking at purchasing the i from is over 100 miles away (yes I know thats another issue) although I was hoping I was not the first person that has ran into this.

I will check out rear dimensions of the Crapolla. Here is a Subaru and it looks like this seat offers much more room than the others in this small review:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=164682

My wife and I just purchased this travel system:

http://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?SKU=40171166&RN=7319&

As a rear-facing carrier, it only fits on one side or the other (not the middle because of the large hinge from the rear seats), and you have to move the front seat up quite a bit to make it fit. As a front-facing carrier, it fits nicely.

Back