Purchase was based on looks

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the I-Miev 4 months ago (5300kms now). I was driving by the Mitsu dealership and did a rubberneck looking at the car. When I was told it was electric, I was disappointed but bought it the next day anyway. I haven't looked back. I charge only at night and weekends so it costs roughly a penny per kilometre. I financed it over 7 years so between lower payments and buying no gas I am putting $500+ per month MORE into MY bank account :D . No more gas stations. No more oil changes. No more transmission problems and emission tests are impossible. Freaking YAY! I LOVE THIS CAR! Thank You Mitsu!

I still have the only EV in Peterborough County (EV's must be a tough sell?). I wish there was someone close by. I waved at a SmartCar thinkiing it was another I-Miev. They look similar from the front. I smiled as I mumbled "Gas Guzzler..."

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/427891_10151246608595289_360124799_n.jpg

I'm also a fan of the design. I don't know why, I just like it. My wife and I call the car "Hamster Ball".

We also very much liked the style/design of the car. I've always been a fan of 4 door hatchbacks (we owned 2 others when we bought the iMiEV) and while I understand they could have made it sleeker and with a lower Cd for better range/economy, I wouldn't change a thing with the overall look and design of the body - While the design of the Leaf totally turned me off, this car had the opposite effect - After I saw the first one, I had to have one!

Don

emissionimpossible said:
and buying no gas I am putting $500+ per month MORE into MY bank account
How is this possible? Do you drive 90+ miles every day or had some very thirsty beast before?

Zelenec said:
emissionimpossible said:
and buying no gas I am putting $500+ per month MORE into MY bank account
How is this possible? Do you drive 90+ miles every day or had some very thirsty beast before?
I think he's adding in the 'lower payments by financing for 7 years' into that number - It's not really a 'savings' so I think it's a bit of fuzzy math :lol:

Don

Would be lying if I didn't say that the great price and the idea of owning an EV was important but my wife and I loved the look of Sparky. I told my wife that the front end looked like a cat face (two eyes and a mouth) and it reminded me of Catbus from Hayao Miyazaki's "My Neighbor Totoro" so we stuck an image of it on the back ...
p1010836id.jpg

And to let the unsuspecting public in on the i-miev being electric we put this image on the back also ....
p1010837ja.jpg

ElectricAvenue said:
..and it reminded me of Catbus from Hayao Miyazaki's "My Neighbor Totoro"
I like you! :D

Anyway, my wife and I average about 2K miles a month. Our other car was getting about 24mpg. So that's about 83 gallons of gas a month. California's average gas price in 2012 was about $4.02 reference here, so I saved about $332 bucks a month. Yes, my car payment is about $435 a month, so technically i'm spending more.. but I was going to have to spend that $332 a month ANYWAY.

Now, rather than handing that money over to some Petroleum Exec so he can take my money and get him/herself a nice car.. I get to keep it for my OWN car!

tumblr_lg3qtzdfuQ1qdpmn5o1_250.jpg

And that's not even the whole story. My electric bill actually went DOWN thanks to Time of Use rates. Also, and a little harder to quantify, but there is an economic reality of being able to have a "fixed" transportation cost. My mobility now costs me what it costs and that never changes. I'm not having to constantly adjust my quality of life due to a sudden and unplanned spike in gas prices. Once this car is paid for, things are gonna get even sweeter! :D

aarond12 said:
Yay! The cat-bus! I love that movie. Please tell us where you got that. :D
different colors can be found on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Neighbor-Totoro-Studio-Ghibli-Sticker/dp/B008N09MKI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1362710130&sr=8-3&keywords=catbus+decal

iDriver said:
ElectricAvenue said:
..and it reminded me of Catbus from Hayao Miyazaki's "My Neighbor Totoro"
I like you! :D

Anyway, my wife and I average about 2K miles a month. Our other car was getting about 24mpg. So that's about 83 gallons of gas a month. California's average gas price in 2012 was about $4.02 reference here, so I saved about $332 bucks a month. Yes, my car payment is about $435 a month, so technically i'm spending more.. but I was going to have to spend that $332 a month ANYWAY.

Now, rather than handing that money over to some Petroleum Exec so he can take my money and get him/herself a nice car.. I get to keep it for my OWN car!

If you amortize the annual maintenance costs for your 24mpg ICE, you are probably breaking even on the $435 a month (gas + maintenance) apr. $1200 dollars a year and possible more for maintenance on a gas car especially at 2k miles a month. If you add it up, you may even be saving money depending how much your annual maintenance costs have been in the past.

+1 on the giving money to the Petro companies. I'd rather give my money to the motor companies to encourage them to keep building electric cars.

Back