More torque from 0 to 30

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazbuster

An electric motor have a lot of instant torque, where is the ''high torque'' for the first 50 feet when you need to start fast? Maybe a ''sport mode'' like the electric Honda FIT could be cool when you need power.
Strange because after about 50 feets, you can feel the torque. Is it possible to change the programming of the modulator? I don't want a dragster, just more punch when it's needed.

Yep, I'd hypothesize that the torque curve was programmed into the motor controller. Our homebrew EVs have tremendous adjustability in the 'acceleration ramp', so that you can get instantaneous full tire-shredding torque :twisted: , or a smooth linear acceleration that keeps the tires planted. :cool:

I thought acceleration away from a standing stop was one of the car's best features - It sure impresses me. I'm not really interested in burning the rubber off the tiny tires ;)

My Mazda hatch has 130 HP and 135 pound feet of torque, but not until the engine reaches 4,000 RPM. Our electric motor has 145 pound feet and it's all available from zero to 3,000 RPM, right where we can best make use of it

I *think* it's limited by the amps the controller can feed the motor, which is somewhere around 150 amps - Coming from a 50 amp hour battery, you can't keep that up for too long. If the controller (and the motor) was capable of handling more amps, you could probably get more torque . . . . maybe even more than the little 42 pound transmission could handle, but it would come with a pretty serious reduction in range

Don

Hello Don

I don't want to burn the tire, the Leaf have a LOT more kik from 0 to 30, i just want a better punch in the first 50 feets IF NEEDED, not all the time.

When you use a Zilla controler, the hairball can be programming as you like.

The I-Miev is PERFECT for me and my wife, 7500kms in 9 weeks.

(sorry for my english)

No need to apologize - Your English is fine!

Hard to compare our cars to the Leaf when it comes to battery, horsepower and torque - They have 50% or more of everything, so of course they have a big edge in performance

I'd be very careful in trying to make your car perform like a Leaf - You'll be making some modifications which might cause you some major problems . . . . and void the warranty as well

Don

As i said, i just want a little more punch for the first 50 feet, after that, everything is perfect.

As an electronic technician and after study the electric cars for 4 years, i will do it myself after the garanty.

I'm sure i can put a little more kik without damaging the car, but not this year.

By the way, my wife and i have made a roadtest with the leaf before buying the I-Miev.

The I-Miev is far more superior in a lot of things.

First, the leaf look about the same than a ice car, the I-Miev make me feel like a rockstar, everybody look the car.

Second, the cargo space in a Leaf is anemic, the I-Miev is like a micro-van. A LOT BETTER!

Third: The larges windows and the excellent vision, also, the simplicity of the instruments, very easy to use. The reputation of the company is A1, the dealer was very professionnal et don't try to bullshit me.

I look for a Tesla but i will wait to see the new generation of electric cars with Mitsubishi. With the incredible new batteries from ENVIA, sky is the limit in the years to come.

gazbuster said:
When you use a Zilla controler, the hairball can be programming as you like.
Another thought here is maybe you're comparing DC drive systems with AC systems. A DC motor with your Zilla controller can instantly provide up to 400% of the motor's rated power (for a few seconds) by supplying a TON of amps from a standing start. An AC motor cannot do that because the armature is unpowered . . . . you can only rotate the field around the armature fairly slowly until the motor begins to speed up. One of the few benefits of DC drive systems is the instantaneous torque from a standing stop

http://www.joliettech.com/ac_vs_dc_drive_comparison.htm

Don

Hello Don

You're right, i better understand the dc system. But i will study the schematics of the I-Miev to understand why the power needle go slowly from economy to power when i start from 0km and instantly after 20km or more. Why the power is available instantly from 20 km and more and with a delay from 0.

I'd like to understand. Is it because the gearbox cannot support an instant torque?

Hello Don

I have just realise that you give me the answer to my question. Sorry for my poor english!

Thank you.

Back