CD Player Reducing Range?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonymil

I've started to notice that my range remaining seems to be dropping much more quickly when I'm playing a cd versus using the radio or ipod. Has anyone else noticed this? Unlike the heater or a/c, it doesn't immediately reduce the range when turned on, but every time I use it on my trip to work, I have a lot less range remaining.

Tonymil

The CD/radio works off the 12v battery and should not be drawing that much current. If you have a inductive amp clamp, with the key in the "ACC" position (not in ON or READY mode) measure the current at the negative cable with radio off, then radio on, then cd player playing. Maybe 3 amps?

The OBC (on-board charger, same one that chargees the 330v batt) takes power from the 330v and reduces it to 14 + volts to recharge the 12v battery like what a alternator does on a gas car. To confirm this, turn the key to get the car in ready mode and measure voltage between the neg and positive battery posts. The batt cover is hard to take off so stick the meter leads in through the sides. Careful of the cooling fans. They come on automatically when the EV system is on.

Thanks for your reply imiev808. I don't have the equipment to test the system but I'm starting to believe that the drop in range while using the cd player was just a coincidence. It may have just been changing traffic patterns on those days. My route to work is generally uphill so I do better on days where I don't have to stop or slow down much so the car doesn't have to work hard to get back up to speed. Today I didn't use the cd player, had a lot of stops and my range remaining dropped quite a bit. I like to listen to books on cd so I'm glad to know that I can do that and not lose much range.

Tony

Did your car come with the USB option?

Convert your Cd audio books to MP3 and play it through your usb. You may be able to carry a whole library on a large USB memory stick.

iMiEV808 said:
Did your car come with the USB option?

Convert your Cd audio books to MP3 and play it through your usb. You may be able to carry a whole library on a large USB memory stick.

I did have the usb connector installed and I've been thinking about doing just what you reccommend. Not only because I believe the ipod player will use less power than the cd player, it will also save me the trouble of changing discs while I'm driving!

Back