Another Hilly Trip with Graphs

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeS

Staff member
Took a trip over the hill down to the ocean and recorded a few parameters, including altitude. Temperature was around 70degF.The two graphs are shown below (I couldn't figure out how to include altitude with a separate scale on the right of a single graph). Started off with RR=87. After 48.8 miles still had 6 bars remaining. Although I could have easily made it home without recharging, I never pass up the chance to opportunity-charge which I did at the shopping center and thus I didn't include the rest of the trip home. Two interesting things from this trip -

1. Going up and down hills doesn't hurt the iMiEV much, as evidenced by the RR, as a good percentage of the range can easily be recovered on the downhills since we have such nice control over regen.
2. Since we now have a fairly good confidence in our RR, combining the "trip miles driven + RR" is another way of stating "Range" (although, for the sake of my battery I would never go all the way).

Posting this primarily for those interested in the iMiEV and yet apprehensive about its range. If you plan ahead and drive reasonably conservatively, it really is not an issue with this car :!:
MitsiHMB.pdf

MitsiHMBAlt.pdf

Joe, our experience here in Taos with going up and down hills is similar to yours. Hills don't really seem to impact the range of the car very much, if at all. Our daily driving is around 40-50 miles, and our uphill climbs are matched with downhill coasts. We do a lot of driving in Eco mode, especially for downhills. While we haven't tracked usage as closely as you, we only charge the car up every other day, and with a full charge, we consistently show 90-93 miles RR.

So careful driving and utilizing the regen in Eco mode really does seem to extend our range. Temps here are in the low to mid 80s, and overnight charging is done in a garage at around 65-70F. We don't use the a/c much, but do drive around with the windows down most of the time (creating some drag). And our driving is between 6,800 feet and 7,400 feet above sea level, so that's quite a bit of climbing and downhill.

The thin air and low humidity don't seem to bother the car at all! :lol:

Back