Range question

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plankton

I'm considering purchasing an iMiev but I'm concerned about the distance of my commute. I'm in Michigan and I travel aprx 15 miles city and 15 miles freeway each way to work. Does anyone feel I may have a range issue if I cannot plug in at work?

How fast do you need to drive on those freeway miles? I'm looking at 20 miles each way, potentially, in the HOV lane, which might be quite fast. If I can't make it at speed, I'll have to move over into a slower lane. :roll: But I don't think I'd worry about 15 miles each way.

Good point about the cold weather, too, it doesn't get nearly as cold here in my area of CA.

Jenn

jennrod12 said:
How fast do you need to drive on those freeway miles? I'm looking at 20 miles each way, potentially, in the HOV lane, which might be quite fast. If I can't make it at speed, I'll have to move over into a slower lane. :roll: But I don't think I'd worry about 15 miles each way.

Good point about the cold weather, too, it doesn't get nearly as cold here in my area of CA.

Jenn

Speed limit is 70, I don't need to go any faster than that. Coldest average temp here is 20deg

If it was me and I had to either get 70 mile range under all conditions or risk walking home I would either find another car (maybe a hybrid?) or make arrangements to do some charging while at work - Even 5 or 6 hours at the really slow 120 volt 8 amp rate the basic level 1 charger provides would give you the needed cushion to make your trip. Higher speeds and colder temps decrease the range and your scenario has you pretty near the edge under ideal conditions

If you plugged in at work for 8 hours you would be consuming less than $1 worth of electricity and you could offer to pay your employer for the juice . . . . or have it deducted from your check. 8 hours at 8 amps at 120 volts is 7.86 KWh and at 12 cents per KWh that comes out to about 93 cents. If your boss has a green bone in his body, I would think he would find some way to accomodate you

Don

Whoops, I see I read the original posting wrong - 60 miles r/t each day would have me worried. Do you *have* to use the freeway, or could you use surface streets the entire way? Any plugging in at all would definitely help, even 110v.

Jenn

Plankton - you're doing the right thing attempting to evaluate the iMiEV's suitability before purchasing.

30 miles one way is a great commute distance for the iMiEV, IF you can charge at work. Yes, you could do it without charging if you didn't go 70mph, but that's too much effort for a commuter - and winter range reduction has still not been quantified.

If I may suggest, look around your work parking area or work neighborhood and see if you can find a simple 120vac outlet that you can be assured of using every day (maybe a neighboring private home?). Once you find it, you need to educate the outlet owner that you're talking about drawing less power than a toaster … translate that into $$ and, as Don said, offer to pay with a little bit extra - it will be way less than the cost of gasoline, anyway. Sadly, we still need to be EVangelists and continue trying to change people's perceptions and the status-quo. Don't be afraid of knocking on doors in your quest - you might actually find a sympathetic green soul who will be more than willing to help you out.

Do let us know how it turns out, and good luck.

Plankton,

You also didn't mention elevation gain/loss over the drive. Hills will take more energy to get over than the savings you get going down the other side, so it's something more to consider.

Jenn

sounds like my drive is about the same as mine. I talked to management and we worked out a deal so i could use the 110v charger at work. I have not drove the car in the winter but in the summer the car makes the trip with no charge but it is really close each way and that is with running no A/C so what i have done is change my trip to work to stay off the expressway as much as possible.

But still i drove last week for $4.14 vs the 120-130.00 in diesel so to me it is worth it.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I made an arrangement with my employer that I can charge off 220v if needed so I'm confident I can do the commute. I went ahead with the purchase and should have it this week. I'll post back and let everyone know if charging is needed.

Thanks again!

Plankton, good for you! Having 240v available at work is overkill for your particular commute ... 120v will work just fine. Although I'm sure you could make the round trip without recharging if you tried, it's much better to recharge at work because:
1. It gives you a safe margin for unexpected detours to/from work or if you're running late and feel you have to drive fast
2. It's easier on the battery to minimize its depth-of-discharge
3. Cold weather performance has still not been quantified, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a 20% range reduction drop
As I've said before - Electric Vehicle drivers don't have range anxiety because we know exactly what our range is (unlike the ICE driver late for work and running on empty).

Back