JoeS
Site Moderator

Re: Measured Wall-to-Wheels Consumption

Thu May 16, 2013 4:52 am

The Operating Cost discussions previously on this thread have been moved here:

iMiEV Operating Costs

I hope that doing this will provide us with continuity on that interesting subject while maintaining this thread for the collection of actual measured wall-to-wheels iMiEV owners' experience. Thank you for your indulgence.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

DogMan12

Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:05 pm

My backwoods approach to measurement has been to just time charging sessions and do the math.

I upgraded to the 12a charger using 110-120V. I have been using Hours x 1.44 to calculate kw drawn from the grid.

With that method, after a little over a month and 811 miles we are averaging 288 w/mile. 3.47 mi/kw.

I took a closer look at my power bill and we average $.083/kw. So we are spending 2.4 cents per mile.

After the first week, we quit feathering the throttle and not using A/C. I still hypermile going into town downhill, pretty sure the wife just keeps her foot in it.
Dog Man Son
2012 iMiEV
We call it not Raspberry, but Metallic Malbec

JoeS
Site Moderator

Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:45 pm

More quantitative data from a Belgian study of European-spec i-MiEVs, discussed here:

http://www.plugincars.com/belgians-measure-ev-efficiency-129078.html

Their five sample vehicles over a two-year period averaged a pretty dismal wall-to-wheels of 293.16wh/mi for only 49,253 miles total.

This study confirmed what we've suspected: roughly half of the battery energy is "lost" to non-motive parasites, primarily the heating system. So, the faster we go the less time we allow those parasites to eat into the battery and the better the wall-to-wheels efficiency ...now, if we could just solve the aerodynamic drag problem...
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)

DonDakin

Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:04 pm

Hi,

Well 295 wh per mile is not wonderful but I guess it sound accurate if you drive like a ice car.

I think you can do a little better then that I can get about half that in the summer driving carefully.

If I eyeball my canion consumption for the last 1000 km it looks like an average of 280 wh/mile so I would have to say my year average has to be less then that.

Maybe 295 is a little on the high side for an entire year average.

Don......

DonDakin

Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:01 pm

Small update to my last post.

Was super cold this morning -16 deg C

In the afternoon returning home it was -9 Deg C

I started the car and put the heat on max and pressed the max button. For about 5 minutes not driving while i fiddled with canion errors. then put the fan on high and took off max and started home. Had trouble with canion so i'm not sure how much of the initial heatup was logged maybe half anyways...

10.9 km distance ave speed 24 KPH.

2954 watthrs out and 116 watthrs regen (4%)

414 WH/mile but I was really totally toasty, Just as comfortable as an ICE.

My pack was at 70 % starting so what the heck. Somedays it's nice to be an energy pig......

Don.....

carnut1100

Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:32 pm

I've had my iMiev for a couple of months now and I have done just shy of 4,000 kilometres so around 2,500 miles or so.
I have logged data for most of that time and so far my best has been 150 Wh/km or about 240 Wh/mi.
That was not quite hypermiling but it was consciously driving economically in a relatively flat area.

My worst was 210 Wh/km or 336 Wh/mi which was driving at night over steep hills with high beams on and heater cranking flat out. I was also running late and driving quite aggressively using full power up hills etc. Pretty much worst case scenario.

My average is 180 Wh/km or 288 Wh/mi which is a mix of hypermiling when I go to town and when I am going to work which is close I will use aircon or heater and not worry too much.
Also I live at the top of a steep hill on a gravel road....my work is near sea level and my house is at 900 feet elevation and the last 400 feet or so of climb is done in the last half mile to the house so a LOT of my commute is heavily affected by hills.
My trip to town involves going down to 200' turn climbing again to 1300' then dropping to sea level.
The alternative is either a climb to 2000' then drop to sea level or a straight drop to sea level with a much longer trip around the hills.

Where I live retail power is $0.28/kWh so I average around $0.05/km or about $0.08/mi...
My Volvo 240 was costing about $0.25/km....but the only times I have used it since buying the iMiev have been when I wanted to tow and one time when someone unplugged the car ten minutes after I plugged it in because they wwanted to use the powerpoint......And they know not to do that again!!!

JoeS
Site Moderator

Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:31 pm

carnut1100, thank you for the update and specific data. With all that hydro and the windpower farm on the northwest side of your island, I'm surprised your energy price is so high. What do you use to monitor your input kWh and whereabouts are you located, as so much of Tasmania is hilly? As an aside, I spent a wonderful few months ten years ago in your winter living on my boat in Lindisfarne across the Derwent from Hobart.

carnut1100

Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:45 pm

I'm in the hills about half an hour out of Hobart.

There is a bit of ill feeling about our power prices.......a few years ago Hydro (which was the state government owned sole generator) was split up into Hydro which generates power and sells it to Aurora who sells it to consumers and pays Transend to move it over the lines.......three sets of management and three individual government owned businesses that have to show a profit each year!

We also have the Basslink cable to the mainland and in technicality we sell most of our hydro and wind power to Victoria as "green power" and buy coal fired power from them. Which means that we still pay the carbon tax on our power....

Home solar has exploded recently and a few months ago they cancelled the 1:1 feed in on home renewable systems. Existing systems and those who had signed installation contracts have 1:1 for five years then they will join all Ne. Installations where they get a wholesale $0.08/kWh feed in....
I have a signed contract so I get the five year grandfather arrangement and my panels go up in a couple of weeks, 5kW of them.
When the 1:1 feed runs out in 5 years I'm getting batteries and a backup generator and they can go take a running jump.......

misterbleepy

Re: Our Gas Free Miles Travelled

Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:35 am

This year I've finally managed to get around to keeping a record of mileage, distance and kWh used - here's a link to my 2015 spreadsheet:

Ion 2015 consumption

GOM is short for "guessometer", aka the Range Remaining gauge.
Keith B.
driving with the power of 15.667 kettles

JoeS
Site Moderator

Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:23 pm

Keith, thank you for your spreadsheet. I took the liberty of moving it over to this thread.

Your numbers seem to align pretty well with my own: http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5744#p5744

Keep up the good work!

PS Our i-MiEV RR gauge is far better than the Leaf's GOM, IMO, and my own preference is to call it RR! :roll:

Return to “Driving the iMiev - Range - Energy Efficiency - Operating Cost”