Don
Site Moderator

Re: Expected range, 2013 i-MiEV, less than 200 km on it

Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:33 pm

I would say that 70 miles (115Kms) at 85 Kmh (53 Mph) is about as 'normal' as you can get - You might improve a few percentage points as your hypermiling technique improves, but nothing short of slowing down is going to get you very much farther

I think your car is preforming exactly as designed - No problem with your battery

I've done 80 to 85 miles a couple of times, but that's mostly at 35 to 40 mph and never exceeding 45. There are folks here who have done 100 miles on level ground, but that was in 25 to 30 mph city driving

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, Raspberry Metallic
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon

KrisK

Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:27 am

Hey All,

Wow, thanks for all the input! So, I'm hearing that 115km @ 85km/h is perfectly reasonable. For your information, I live in Wellesley Ontario and commute in to Waterloo. This morning I checked the RR and it said 115 km. I had turned on the AC to pre-cool the vehicle while it was plugged in before checking which was probably a mistake, however it should have charged fully overnight. One thing I noticed is that the rural drive into town is rough on the vehicle. Getting to St. Agatha (about 14km) took the RR from 115 to 93 (difference of 22). When I arrived at work the RR was at 94 (yes, it went up 1). Apparently with St. Agatha what they say is true - it's all downhill from here :)

I definitely didn't hypermile on my drive today - I maintained traffic flow which meant using more juice on some of the hills outside of town. It will be interesting to see what the RR lists as my maximum range after I fall back into a more typical driving routine.

--Kris

Don
Site Moderator

Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:00 pm

Just a heads-up for you as a new owner - The RR meter can lie to you. So long as you understand how it computes what it's telling you, you won't be surprised

For example, if your 14 km drive from St Agatha to home is slightly downhill, then when you turn around the next day after an overnight recharge, the RR is going to 'consume' more than the 14 Km to get back there . . . . because the computer is basing it's computations on the energy you used on the downhill trip home the previous day and now it's correctly observing that the uphill return trip is using more energy, so it will click off the Km's more quickly trying to get you back to an accurate number. 50 Km's showing on the gauge does not mean you actually have 50 Km's of range left - It could be much less, especially if you're going faster or uphill or it could be much more, especially if you're going slower or downhill

If you drive somewhat downhill for the first 8 bars of your fuel gauge, you're not going to make it back home, even though the RR gauge says you should easily be able to

There's a thread here somewhere all about the highest RR numbers after a recharge, and if you live on top of a mountain and drive downhill for 100 KM's or so and then recharge, your new RR number will be sky high - Maybe even in the area of 200 Km's. Conversely, if you recharged in the valley and then drove home to the top of the mountain, your RR numbers after that recharge might only be 75 or even less. The same applies to speed - If you go fast in one direction and then slowly the other direction, you'd better not put too much trust in the RR gauge

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, Raspberry Metallic
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon

KrisK

Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:07 am

Hi Don,

Yep, I read up in another thread on how the RR works. On a related note, it's a bit of a shame that the i-MiEV doesn't come with trip meter + RR on a single display but I love the fact that a rough estimate of range is there. The Canion app + tablet seems pretty awesome. Regarding my original post - this morning's RR reading was 117 (up from 115). I'm feeling a lot more comfortable with the ranges I'm getting in town and out where I live. Rural Waterloo is more of a strain than in town however I'm only using about 30-40% of total charge with my daily commute.

So far it's been a really fun week with the i-MiEV.

--Kris

JoeS
Site Moderator

Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:45 am

KrisK wrote:...Regarding my original post - this morning's RR reading was 117 (up from 115).
Had me going for a second, until I remembered you're in Canada which wisely adopted the metric system. :geek:
The current maximum Range Remaining record is 109miles (175.4km) :mrgreen: Ref: http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13223#p13223
KrisK wrote:I'm feeling a lot more comfortable with the ranges I'm getting in town and out where I live. Rural Waterloo is more of a strain than in town however I'm only using about 30-40% of total charge with my daily commute.
Sounds like an excellent match!
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

Return to “Driving the iMiev - Range - Energy Efficiency - Operating Cost”