alohart

Re: B-mode for regular driving

Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:16 pm

Llecentaur wrote:I have done many tests and can confirm that rolling down a gentle slope is clearly more efficient in N than trying to stay in neutral zone while in D.

I can not explain why, other that there is some spinning in the engine, maybe some resistance to the cooling liquid ? Not really qualified nor have the data to conclude.

I'm guessing that it's more difficult to position the accelerator so that no electricity flows in or out of the motor when in any drive mode compared with shifting to N where it's guaranteed that no electricity flows in or out of the motor. So trying to coast in any drive mode will almost certainly result in some electricity flowing in and out of the motor. For me, being able to immediately accelerate or brake without shifting is more important that driving with the utmost efficiency.

I would prefer that E mode would coast without regen when the accelerator is lifted so that the brake pedal would control regen totally. Or maybe better would be a switch that would disable regen in any drive mode except when the brake pedal is pushed.
Aloha,
Art
Honolulu: 2014 BMW i3 BEV (formerly 2012 i-MiEV SE)
Uppsala, Sweden: 2000 Honda Insight

Llecentaur

Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:30 pm

Thank you.

I Will try again between neutral position in D and N. Maybe i was not being précise enough.

fjpod

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:36 pm

It takes practice to keep the needle between charge and eco...but it can be done more easily in Eco than in B.

alohart

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:38 pm

But "being précise enough" might be more work than you want to perform while driving. I frequently want to relax more when I drive, so hypermiling or even trying to coast perfectly in B can, at times, feel like something I don't want to do. But I think experience can make coasting in D, E, or B efficiently more automatic, so you learn how to coast well so that doing so isn't as much work.

Shifting to N would be less work but with the added safety risk of being unable to accelerate or regen-brake quickly in an unexpected driving situation. It's the driver's choice.
Aloha,
Art
Honolulu: 2014 BMW i3 BEV (formerly 2012 i-MiEV SE)
Uppsala, Sweden: 2000 Honda Insight

Don
Site Moderator

Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:06 pm

Since the shift lever does nothing but disconnect the electrical circuitry, it would be really nice if we just had a button for that . . . . so that we needn't push the 'shifter' back and forth. A paddle on the steering wheel would be ideal . . . . press (or pull) it when you want to coast, release it when you want regen or acceleration. I don't think it would be that complicated to set something up . . . . if we had schematics for the car

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, Raspberry Metallic
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon

aarond12

Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:53 pm

Don wrote:. . . if we had schematics for the car . . .

If I had the schematics, I would like to build a push-button shifter like the Fiat 500Ev's shifter. I don't think it would take that much to do... A little 3D printing work, a few switches, maybe a little shift-register logic to keep the car in "gear"... ;)
2015 Nissan LEAF S

Vike

Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:03 pm

DonDakin wrote:So when I drive this way I am basically all over the place and I'm practically shifting like i used to do in the civic.

But traffic being what it is, practically I spend most of my time in B and E Starting off in B or E to get a gentle start and then modulating the speed with E most of the time and braking in B. I have also found that when I'm driving in E and I need to accelerate quicker instead of pressing the pedal down I switch to D and just hold the pedal at it's current position. It's kind of like a "turbo" mode like the old 386's, then when I'm up to speed I switch back to E to maintain speed all of this without changing the go pedal position.

Maybe after driving a manual transmission for so long I feel I still need to shift or maybe its just me trying to be as efficient as I can just for fun but I find that those are the techniques I use most often with the iMiev.

For reasons already discussed at length in this thread (i.e., the mode selector is a mechanical device providing input to a purely electronic control) I don't think this sort of driving does any harm to the drivetrain. I'm afraid that might not be the case for the shifter itself, however. This car is NOT a manual, and its shifter was not built to be continuously rowed around like a stick shift - it is really just a repurposed auto tranny mode selector, meant primarily for "set and forget" use. My worry would be about prematurely wearing out the moving parts in the mode selector, not damaging the motor or transmission.

It's a pity Mitsubishi couldn't have incorporated a common feature of automatic mode selectors, that little button on the shifter that enables/disables the final overdrive gear. On the i-MiEV, this would have been a handy button for disabling "regen on coast", as described elsewhere in this thread.
2012 Silver ES w/QuickCharge+DRL/foglights, Eaton Level 2 EVSE, since 9/9/2012

Barbagris

Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:19 am

Don wrote:Since the shift lever does nothing but disconnect the electrical circuitry, it would be really nice if we just had a button for that . . . . so that we needn't push the 'shifter' back and forth. A paddle on the steering wheel would be ideal . . . . press (or pull) it when you want to coast, release it when you want regen or acceleration. I don't think it would be that complicated to set something up . . . . if we had schematics for the car

As VW is doing for the e-Golf

Yes, is not in the street, it will in a few months
...learning...

clovi

Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:33 am

E is my "normal" ride. D is my ride when the "dinner" is on the table and I burn the batteries in 35 miles driving back home. Oh yeah , it is fun!! On this mode, I shift to the E on stop lights and signs.
What you think???
Clovi
2 IMIEVS.
Bianco - 95 K miles
Vino - 40K miles

MLucas

Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:56 am

clovi wrote:E is my "normal" ride. D is my ride when the "dinner" is on the table and I burn the batteries in 35 miles driving back home. Oh yeah , it is fun!! On this mode, I shift to the E on stop lights and signs.
What you think???
Clovi

Shift to B and you'll get better regen. E won't do much for slowing down.

Like Dylan...I went electric.

• Purchased: June 29th, 2012
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2013 - 25,431 km / 15,802 miles
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2014 - 51,286 km / 32,616 miles

List of Oil Spills: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_spills

Return to “Driving the iMiev - Range - Energy Efficiency - Operating Cost”