Most buffer you've gotten after the range indicator is ZERO!

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serendipity

How much is the backup/buffer/reserve range.

What happens to the car when it goes into the buffer zone? I have heard that the car does not let you switch on the AC and goes at a max speed of something like 20km/hr?

Is this true?

Also, how much is the backup distance/reserve range once the distance range says 0?

Like everything else concerning the range of this car, how far you can go after the RR meter reaches zero depends on where and how you drive the car - It will go farther downhill than uphill and farther if you're going slower than if you're speeding along . Several stories concerning this are posted here on the forum . . . . the 'usual' range is about 5 or 6 miles if you're feather-footing it. The car will go normal speeds right up until the very end

True, when you reach a certain point, the car will automatically disengage the heater or A/C . . . . but then, if you knew you were going to be close to not making it on range, you should have done that long before. Once you're used to the car and the info the RR gauge gives you, these sorts of problems should occur very infrequently, if at all. In 7,000 miles, we've never seen the RR gauge below 4 miles remaining, and we did that one on purpose

Don

I would only trust 8 to 10 kilometers once the turtle light goes on like Don said. I had once run into a serious situation where I was 15 kilometers from home and I made it back. When I get that low I turn off everything anyway, usually way before I reach zero if I know I'm beyond my range. The next thing I do is look at my GPS and determine my range and start looking for the best route home or to the nearest charging station. The route I'm looking for is where I can go as slow as possible without being a hindrance and with as many down slopes as possible. The slower you go the more range you can get out of the batteries.

Just note, this is not something you want to do on a regular basis. Plan your driving accordingly. Your daily driving should be within the normal range of the I MiEV (< 100km) without charging to make it practical. Yet, you can extend that range if you have opportunities to charge. If you are going beyond your normal daily driving, plan ahead and find out where you can charge. Electric mobility in these early days is not trouble free, we are early adopters and have to suffer a few inconveniences for the freedom from petroleum.

Back