Stock Shocks Replacement Options

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandange

My Mileage has been getting up 65,000 miles, (110,000 km) there and I feel I've lost some of that crisp handling/stability and ride comfort.

Was wondering if any one has looked into replacing the stock shocks with equivalent or better.
What Prices they paid , & brand/supplier they dealt with.

www.rockauto.com has listings for just about any part of any car and they don't have a single listing for either shocks or struts for the iMiEV, which leads me to believe nobody is yet making replacements for our cars

When you look up shocks and struts for most other makes and models, they have half a dozen different choices to pick from. The fact that not one is there for our cars probably means that sadly, there's just nothing out there. Looks like it's OEM units from Mitsu (likely at 3X the price) or nothing for now. It can be tough driving a one of a kind car!

Don

Thanks Don
This is what I've experienced also trying to source replacement shocks.
Now I'm hoping to find some that were gently used.

Per Mark Mitsubishi, our 'Miev needs new rear shocks and there are no after-market substitutes. Quoted $399.00 for both rear shocks. Ouch. Anybody have any luck finding an after-market replacement?

Replaced the cabin filter for $35 including tax; MM used a Mirage filter, which they said was the same.

How many miles on your car? You should be fine until at least 75K or so on suspension parts. No chance that your dealer is suggesting a change just because he knows he'll be making a mint on a hard to find part, is there? :lol:

There's nothing 'special' about our rear shocks (or the front struts for that matter) except that they fit an iMiEV. If it was a Toyota Corolla, the rear shocks would be $40 each and no doubt, ours don't cost any more than that to manufacture, so $200 each is just . . . . robbery

It might be worthwhile to try to cross reference shocks and struts to see if Mitsu used the same parts on another car
- Maybe a Lancer or something. If you found that to be the case, there are aftermarket suppliers for some of those models. You could also spec them by length, diameter of the studs they mount on and so forth and maybe find a 'suitable substitute' for probably $40 or $50 each, or you could try and find a used set from a lower mileage wreck . . . . at least until the yard discovers that ordinary parts of an iMiEV are actually 'Gold' (or so the dealers think) and then the used prices will probably skyrocket too

Don

Don said:
How many miles on your car? You should be fine until at least 75K or so on suspension parts. No chance that your dealer is suggesting a change just because he knows he'll be making a mint on a hard to find part, is there? :lol:

44k or so, I did look at the shocks this morning with another mechanic and they are leaking. I think that you suggestion about trying to match from another vehicle should be investigated. These shouldn't have failed at this time.

And I wonder if they can be repaired?

Nothing special (by appearance) about the rear shocks. We just need to pull a part # and then it should be pretty straight forward to find a replacement for between $20 and $50 each. I'll see if I can find one on the labels next time that I am about to hit the shower. ;)

Aerowhatt

2012 ES model, original owner:
Almost 50,000 miles and the rear shocks are toast. As earlier posters have mentioned, replacements are only available from Mitsubishi. Apparently no inventory in the USA at this time, so mine are on their way from Japan.
Just goes to show the problem with a limited production vehicle.
Stay charged my friend.

Here are its dimensions (in millimeters) of the rear shock I had pulled off a 2016 North American i-MiEV:

iMiEVRearShockDimRed.jpg

Phximiev said:
Don said:

44k or so, I did look at the shocks this morning with another mechanic and they are leaking. I think that your suggestion about trying to match from another vehicle should be investigated. These shouldn't have failed at this time.

And I wonder if they can be repaired?

I still have the old shocks in the garage. After much inquiry about whether they could be repaired or matched from another vehicle, I gave up. No one seemed interested unless the price was prohibitive and nobody could find a match unless from another iMiev or Mitsubishi.

But if someone wants to take a shot at repairing mine, I'll be happy to donate them if it becomes an effort that benefits the group.

:)

I have bought rear shocks for I-Miev on Amayama. It was cheaper than from the dealer.
My I-Miev is 2012. I have emailed Amayama the part number I took from the old shocks,
they replied with a quote, I have paid them, and they have shipped me new shocks.

My Ion has done 57k miles now and compared to when I bought it at 28k miles the shock absorbers are feeling decidedly "non-optimal", in that the car bounces and oscillates a lot more than it used to. It used to be firm but fairly well damped.

Looks like replacements are hard to come by though.... :?

KYB started to produce rear shock absorbers for I-Miev. Part number is KSF1404.
Also I-Mievs rear shock absorbers looks exactly like shock absorbers from Mitsubishi Pajero Pinin, one of the most popular part number is KYB343408.
My rear shock absorbers are dead, so I ordered those ones from Pajero and I will try them on I-Miev.

I got Pajero shock absorbers from partsouq.com and installed them. Price is $26 for two and shipping is $44.
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

So, my 2012 iMiEV SE's rear shocks are failing at 40k. Has anyone found a shock made in the US that replaces the OE? Japanese suspension parts can't be sent to the US due to new flight restrictions according to Nengun.com. KYB doesn't seem to make anything for the iMiEV either.

Part numbers for the OEM i-MiEV shocks, and the identical Mitsubishi Pajero Pinin alternative::

Mitsubishi : MR374286
KYB 343408
NK 63302787
Japko MJ50036
Japanparts MM50036
Bilstein 19-227856
Monroe D7002 (Mod. Edit - fit problem: https://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=46360#p46360)

This advert has cross-reference part numbers:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353051106835

Some possible sources available to you:

Pair of Japanparts MM-50036 for $107 with free economy shipping from Berlin, Germany:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265528505372
You may have to pay US Customs charges

This British company has the Bilsteins for $68 each and they ship worldwide:
https://www.bilstein-shocks.co.uk/products/19-227856

Japanparts, very cheap, DHL worldwide shipping offered:
https://www.trodo.com/shock-absorber-japanparts-mm-50036

They also have the Monroe for $61 :
https://www.trodo.com/shock-absorber-monroe-d7002
(Mod. Edit - fit problem: https://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=46360#p46360)

The Japko for $24 :
https://www.iparts.pl/czesc/amortyzator-japko-mj50036,0-481-mj50036-2605017.html

It looks like there has been success finding a substitute for rear shocks. Any success for front struts?

Andrew

It looks like there has been success finding a substitute for rear shocks. Any success for front struts?

Andrew

Replacement struts have been out of stock forever, and I thought that FactoryMitsubishiParts.com had cancelled and refunded my order that was placed in early December, so I replaced mine with low mileage collision-salvage struts just last weekend....

So of course, the dormant order was shipped this morning! If you want some, go order the following part numbers while they're in stock, or offer me a significant markup on the $540 net cost for a pair! :roll:
Suspension Strut 4060a369
Suspension Strut 4060a370

Back