databeestje

Re: ASC

Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:47 pm

If the wheel alignment is sufficiently out of whack that will cause a ASC to trigger too. I had that issue with a bent rear axle on a Peugeot 206 that triggered the asc on right hand turns.

JoeS
Site Moderator

Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:30 am

pbui19 wrote:So the iMiev killed a deer last night....Oh, there is a bit of friction turning the wheel, the other side wheel turned a lot smoother....
pbui, sorry to hear about the deer - I've had many close calls myself.

That friction turning the wheel might be a clue, but, sorry, no ideas. Give me a call if you'd like to borrow a car while you're working on your i-MiEV.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

pbui19

Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:07 am

databeestje wrote:If the wheel alignment is sufficiently out of whack that will cause a ASC to trigger too. I had that issue with a bent rear axle on a Peugeot 206 that triggered the asc on right hand turns.

that's an interesting thought, I'll keep an eye out. The steering seems fine but the steering wheel neutral position is slightly offset clockwise by a few degree. It was the left side that took the deer out.

Joes: thanks for the offer, it's drivable, just without ASC.

PV1
Site Moderator

Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:37 am

Check your tie rods. If it knocked the steering neutral off 12 o'clock, it may have bent a tie rod.

As for the ASC, if it is continuously activating and eventually shuts off with the RBS, MCU warning light, ASC, and ASC off lights, wiring to one or more wheels is likely broken. This behavior appears when the ECU doesn't get a reading from a wheel.
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015
"Photon" - 2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

pbui19

Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:48 pm

drove about 14 miles to the train station this morning. Once I was on flatland, i turned on ASC and everything worked fine, though i only got up to 40mph. So it seems that the speed sensors must be ok.

I'll check for bent rod, which shouldn't mess with the ASC right ? I think i can live with a slightly bent rod, if all it does is offset my steering wheel a bit. I like to have ASC though.

It still goes pretty straight, no apparent pulling to one side. So how would a bent rear axle cause a ASC warning ? how can i tell if an alignment is needed ?

databeestje

Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:53 am

The ASC operates by calculating wheel speeds (in revolutions), and as such, a bent steering (front or rear) will result in differing wheel speeds for a given turning radius. The ASC will quickly realize that that math for the 4 wheel speeds doesn't match a normal corner speed and intervene on 1 or more wheels.

So yes, if you are going straight, even if the ASC is on, all tires will likely rotate the same speed unless the Toe on the front wheels is so far off that your are (literally) scrubbing the entire (front) tire off and front and rear speeds differ too much.

Get your tie rods fixed and it should just go away. Also, some of the professional damage repair services will rectify any bent A-arms and struts to get your alignment back.

Do this or you'll just write off front tires in the space of month.

pbui19

Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:38 am

databeestje wrote:The ASC operates by calculating wheel speeds (in revolutions), and as such, a bent steering (front or rear) will result in differing wheel speeds for a given turning radius. The ASC will quickly realize that that math for the 4 wheel speeds doesn't match a normal corner speed and intervene on 1 or more wheels.

So yes, if you are going straight, even if the ASC is on, all tires will likely rotate the same speed unless the Toe on the front wheels is so far off that your are (literally) scrubbing the entire (front) tire off and front and rear speeds differ too much.

Get your tie rods fixed and it should just go away. Also, some of the professional damage repair services will rectify any bent A-arms and struts to get your alignment back.

Do this or you'll just write off front tires in the space of month.

Thanks databeestge, I guess there is more to it than just monitoring wheel speeds, since wheels speed are different during cornering. The computer must have a map of the anticipated speed variation. I also got a bunch of warning lights coming the hill last night: RBS, !, ASC ...

Phximiev

Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:34 am

Might I suggest a visit to the dealer? And the cost of the repair may be covered under your UIM coverage?
2012 iMIEV ES
2014 Chevy Volt

kiev

Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:49 am

pbui19 wrote:... The steering seems fine but the steering wheel neutral position is slightly offset clockwise by a few degree. It was the left side that took the deer out.

i went thru a deep pothole on the left side and it caused the same steering wheel offset that you have seen. i used the string method to check wheel alignment and adjusted the tie rods to get it back straight.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

pbui19

Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:20 am

kiev wrote:
pbui19 wrote:... The steering seems fine but the steering wheel neutral position is slightly offset clockwise by a few degree. It was the left side that took the deer out.

i went thru a deep pothole on the left side and it caused the same steering wheel offset that you have seen. i used the string method to check wheel alignment and adjusted the tie rods to get it back straight.

did you also get the RBS/car!/ASC warnings ? the angular offset is actually quite minimal. With all this rain, there has been quite a few rather deep potholes around here.

And yes, a visit to the dealer is in the plan, would the UIM warranty cover running a deer ?

Return to “Suspension - Handling”