Clicks from wheel covers

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phximiev

After some period of incessant clicking from the wheels on the right side of the 'Miev and without success of discovering the cause of the noise after visiting Discount Tire, and several other mechanics, we finally discovered the cause of the clicking sound and fixed it. Our neighbor is an 80+ year old retired mechanic, who on the first ride said the noise came from the wheel covers. We pulled over and took both right side covers off and the noise was gone. He then switched the front and the rear covers and took care to replace the covers properly. This meant locating the tire pressure stem imprint on the inside of the cover and aligning this with the tire stem. Once replaced, the noise disappeared.

:)

evidence of a considerable de-skilling in new world ways of thinking Vs the old. 'Ill use my eyes and brain before I use my smartphone Vs ill plug that in and my smartphone will give me the answer'.

Our steel wheels are quite flexy. Drive slowly with the windows down and you'll hear the creaking of even properly installed stock wheel covers. When I used stainless steel aero "Salt Flat Discs" the noise was so extreme that my silver car was nicknamed "Jiffy Pop". However, I've never had a problem with wheel lugs backing off due to the flexion...

Back