"Tire Repair Kit" profiteering!

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbW

This past Monday evening, I got a flat on my front driver's side tire. I attempted to use the so-called "tire repair kit" that comes with the iMiEV (rather than an actual spare). The damage was apparently too severe for the repair kit as all it did was leave a giant puddle of sealant on the pavement and a still-flat tire.

I had my Meepster towed to my local dealer, which was fortunately only 4 miles away. Just got off the phone with the dealer's service department a few minutes ago. They are recommending that I replace all four tires since the remaining tread on all four tires was 3/32" or less. My Meepster was bought new in July 2013 and has 35.5K miles on it. I am having the dealership order the new OEM tires and install them since the total cost they quoted me for new tires installed was actually (and surprisingly) less than what it would cost for me to order new tires from TireRack.com and have them shipped to a local installer to be installed ($684 via the dealership vs. $689 via TireRack.com and local installer).

As for the topic of this post. I emailed the service advisor after talking with him on the phone because I forgot to inquire about the tire repair kit. I asked if a new bottle of tire sealant would be included with the service I am receiving, or if I would have to purchase a new bottle. He just replied a few minutes ago saying that he looked into the matter. After reviewing the available options, the service advisor said he recommends that I purchase the tire repair kit for the Mitsubishi Mirage rather than the iMiEV. The Mirage kit comes with the exact same sealant as the iMiEV and a new air compressor for $30. The tire sealant ALONE for the iMiEV is $150!!!!!!!!! Needless to say, I asked for the Mirage kit!

I can only assume that the massive price gouging on iMiEV replacement parts is an attempt to make up for unrealized revenue from a lack of service/maintenance from iMiEV owners.

"....After reviewing the available options, the service advisor said he recommends that I purchase the tire repair kit for the Mitsubishi Mirage rather than the iMiEV. The Mirage kit comes with the exact same sealant as the iMiEV and a new air compressor for $30. The tire sealant ALONE for the iMiEV is $150!!!!!!!!! Needless to say, I asked for the Mirage kit!...."

Good info. Thanks.

FWIW:
1) some time ago I purchased a large can of generic fix-a-flat from auto parts store.
Keep it in our MiEV and would use it in preference to yhe OEM kit, because, unlike the OEM Kit which (IIRR) doesn't promise it won't kill the tire pressure monitoring sender, it swears it won't hurt it, doesn't require digging under rear seat, and cost pennies to replace compared to OEM.
2) yesterday at Walmart for $20 I got this kit made by Slime, that includes a 12-volt compressor.
https://www.walmart.com/reviews/product/14254132

Might be a even better option?

Before setting off on my cross-country trip in the Tesla last year (which also has no spare tire) I also settled on a tire plug kit and pump, hoping that my flat tire would be caused by a nail that I could pull out and replace with a plug without taking the wheel off the car - if I was in an isolated area outside of normal road service. I'd rather use the slimy goop injection option as a last resort.

My i-MiEV solution is to carry two spacesaver tires from a Gen1 Honda Insight, together with jack and lugwrench, all in a Rubbermaid Roughneck container. Much faster to change one's own tires instead of waiting for a tow truck. Used this option once in five years.

",,,My i-MiEV solution is to carry two spacesaver tires from a Gen1 Honda Insight, together with jack and lugwrench..."

How much did that pair of Insight mini-spares cost you?

Think I might go over to Bi-Mart where for $24 they carry low performance (like for forklifts and wheelbarrows) complete wheels with tires with four lug holes in various sizes....See if any would fit the MiEV as temporary spares. Might only need to carry one that has the diameter of the rear tire. If it's a front tire could drive at least a short ways with mismatched front tires. Would not want to drive far at all with mismatched rear tires diameters.... could put lots of strain and wear on the differential.

The main saving grace of the increasing trend of automakers not even supplying a minispare, for me with our EV, is that we're never VERY far from home because of the short range.

Back