Winter tires, for year round use ?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigger19687

Ok so I ask because I found for $56 (+shipping of $12) Yokahama Ice Gaurd tires at Tire rack (each)

They are NON-studded Winter tires.
These are for the FRONT tire... that I seem to wear out in 8-9K of driving.

Backs are fine and I am thinking if I have to replace the tires every 15 months, why not just get cheap.

I drive 8 miles to work, almost NO highway except an occasional Costco run about 11 miles on highway.

I should also say that if there is REAL snow on the ground I take my truck.

OR, I can get Continental ContiEcoContact at Walmart for $82 delivered. (each)

The ContiEcoContact aren't bad tires. You trade noise and a bit of handling for longer wear and slightly better range. Yokohama tires are also at this price point and are the exact opposite, sacrificing a bit of range for a much quieter ride and improved handling (driving Koorz is so much more fun on twisty roads or our "double roundabout").

I'm not sure if it was just my car or not, but the Continentals seemed to make the steering want to zero at the 2 o'clock position and pull severely to the right if I let go of the wheel. For that reason, I went back to Dunlops.

As for running winter tires year-round, I can't comment as I've yet to use winter tires, but I imagine they won't last long. The only problem I've had so far was getting up my driveway, but a new pair of rear Dunlop Enasaves fixed that problem (tires I had on before were almost wore out).

Yes I read all the other posts on which tires and the Yoko was not a choice due to loss of range.

I was just thinking that if I had to buy new tires every year I might as well just buy cheap for front tires.

But that more I read on the Winter tires and that they are made Softer... I am thinking this was a dumb question as I would lose out on miles per charge due to the over softness of the tire .

:(

PV1 said:
I'm not sure if it was just my car or not, but the Continentals seemed to make the steering want to zero at the 2 o'clock position and pull severely to the right if I let go of the wheel. For that reason, I went back to Dunlops.

Very interesting that... ive just changed from the bald original Dunlops to Continentals, and ive noticed an immediate difference to the tracking and steering. I would describe it as follows:

- Stiffer steering (I put that down to new tread, and the tyres being flatter, rather than rounded with wear, as was the case on the Dunlops, especially the front right tyre)

- Tracking now seems off, not sure about 2 hours on the clock, but certainly tracks to the right if I centre the wheel - I's say about 30 mins (15 degrees off) off centre.

Winter tyres all year round - not sure it's a good idea, they run really noisy compared to summer/ all season. Plus, not sure how good the very wet stopping distance is, but im sure they would wear out fast in the summer, and lower range.

tigger19687 said:
Yes I read all the other posts on which tires and the Yoko was not a choice due to loss of range.
Not only will the winter tires give you significantly less range than the Yokohamas, but if you're wearing out the regular tires every 8 to 9K, you'll probably be doing good to see 5K from the winter tires on summer roads . . . . assuming you don't slide into the ditch sooner on a wet road

You either need a good alignment or . . . . you're plowing the car into the corners - Slow down a bit and your tires will last much longer. 25K on each of our iMiEV's and the stock tires are still looking very good

Don

I've tried using winter tires in summer. They are hard and didn't wear at all. No enough grip and a bit noisy.

Though I've never had any real seat time in a Volt with OEM tires, my work's Volt currently has some rather aggressive looking winter tires on it. Range sucks, but that car can take a 40 MPH turn at 60 with no sweat (meaning a turn that sensible people take at 40 :lol: ).

As for the Volt's range, the best I get is 28 EV miles and 36 MPG on gas mode with these tires.

PV1 said:
Though I've never had any real seat time in a Volt with OEM tires, my work's Volt currently has some rather aggressive looking winter tires on it. Range sucks, but that car can take a 40 MPH turn at 60 with no sweat (meaning a turn that sensible people take at 40 :lol: ).

As for the Volt's range, the best I get is 28 EV miles and 36 MPG on gas mode with these tires.

Which Volt year is this?
Thanx

Back