Spare tire options - T125/70D15 from 00 - 03 Honda Civic

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikalex

I am feeling a lot better about having a spare tire that fits the front and rear of my I-MiEV.
Yes maybe I am old school in some ways but I prefer to get home under my own steam and prefer not to use the spray goo and temporary compressor under the back seat if I can avoid it. Lots of construction debris near work.
My spare tire is an emergency spare from a 2000 to 2003 Honda Civic I found at an auto wrecker.
It's a Goodyear E spare T125/70D15 . 15" rim / 4 x 100mm bolt pattern and a 56.1mm bore so it fits both front and back.
Best $20 insurance policy I own.
I don't mind carrying it in the back either.
Cheers, Roman

Have you tried it on the front . . . . or the back? The car really doesn't like any tire which isn't very close in overall circumference to the OEM tires and the front and back tires are very different

When I bought my Miata 22 years ago, the 'compact' spare took up an unbelievable chunk of the tiny trunk, so the first thing I did was take it out and put it on a shelf in the garage - It's still there and I've driven that car cross country (without the spare, but carrying a tire plug kit and a compressor) a couple times. With the iMiEV, I'm never that far from home. If I ever did have a flat, I'd call the wife to bring me a spare (the one off the Miata :lol: it fits the iMiEV too) *if* the supplied patch kit and compressor couldn't get me back on the road

But - I understand carrying a spare gives some folks peace of mind, so whatever floats your boat!

Don

I have tried it on both the front and the back to make sure it fit and that there were no clearance / interference issues while driving.
The bore of the e spare is 56.1mm and fits over that sleeve inserted on the front hub.
So by default it is a bit oversized on the "hub-centric" protrusion on the rear wheel hub.
The e spare is very close to the same size as the front and rear tire so no issues with the Active Stability Control system.
I personally feel better with it in the car.
Must be an old age independence thing!
(My wife would bring me the spare but it might be followed with an "I told you so!".)
(-;

The 4% difference in diameter between the front and rear don't bother me if I make it home under my own steam. I think it is easy to temporarily disable the ASC too if I need to by pressing the switch for more than 3 seconds.
145/65R15 front is 22.42" in diameter and the 175/60/15 is 23.27" in diameter. Roughly 4% difference.

"I prefer to get home under my own steam"

"I'd call the wife to bring me a spare (the one off the Miata :lol: it fits the iMiEV too)"

hmmm apples and oranges from where I'm standing, I also prefer to get . . . wherever . . . under my own steam. Which by definition doesn't require relying upon anyone else. I carry a spare too (left rear passenger seat floor). If I never use it in the life of the car, it will still be worth hauling around for 100,000+ miles. Piece of mind? I wouldn't stop at that, more like being stuck somewhere or not!

Aerowhatt

nikalex, thank you for providing us with yet another option for a spare tire that fits our i-MiEV both front and back.

On my longer trips I've been carrying a couple of Gen1 Honda Insight very light spacesaver spares, together with a jack and lugwrench, all fitting in a Rubbermaid box. Two wheels in order to balance left and right. Used them once when one of my Yokohama's tread separated.

I also fall into the self-sufficiency camp - let's not go there…

JoeS said:
nikalex, thank you for providing us with yet another option for a spare tire that fits our i-MiEV both front and back.

On my longer trips I've been carrying a couple of Gen1 Honda Insight very light spacesaver spares, together with a jack and lugwrench, all fitting in a Rubbermaid box. Two wheels in order to balance left and right. Used them once when one of my Yokohama's tread separated.

I also fall into the self-sufficiency camp - let's not go there…

What type of jack are you using? I was thinking of getting a bottle jack since it would take up less room than a scissor jack.

jjlink said:
What type of jack are you using? I was thinking of getting a bottle jack since it would take up less room than a scissor jack.
jjlink, I'm using an small scissor jack from one of my vintage Saabs - a bottle jack may not work as there wouldn't be enough clearance to stick it under the jacking point.

a bottle jack may not work as there wouldn't be enough clearance to stick it under the jacking point.

Actually, Joe, there's a fair assortment of affordable bottle jacks out there that would work. I've been looking lately and noted this one . . .

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200641735_200641735

I recently measured the ground clearance of the i-MiEV on flat pavement and noted that the height underneath the obvious jacking points were all 6.5" or greater. The above linked 2 ton one has an unextended height of 5.8125" and can crank up to 14.5", which should be more than enough to get a fairly beefy jack stand underneath.

Although it probably isn't going to happen before the fall and I'm only thinking out loud at this point, I'm toying with the idea of going with stock rear Dunlop Enasaves (175/60 R15) and matching rims up front . . . having read through the exhaustively long thread on the subject here on the Forum (copy/pasting large portions of it into a word processing document for comprehensive offline study) and noting all the caveats regarding removable aluminum front axle rings, disc brake spacers, longer studs and possible issues with suspension clearance. To really investigate properly, though, I'll also need to get corners the vehicle off the ground safely and the bottle jack will do that. That it's also small enough to carry around in the vehicle is another plus.

Benjamin Nead said:
a bottle jack may not work as there wouldn't be enough clearance to stick it under the jacking point.
Actually, Joe, there's a fair assortment of affordable bottle jacks out there that would work...I recently measured the ground clearance of the i-MiEV on flat pavement and noted that the height underneath the obvious jacking points were all 6.5" or greater. The above linked 2 ton one has an unextended height of 5.8125" ...
...and when the tire is flat, the clearance is ...? :roll:

Back