Adoepner

Re: 14" Wheels

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:18 am

Thanks for the advice Don! I had my 185/65R14 set pulled off the rims today ... and one tire was definitely bad. You've saved me a trip to the ditch.

I'll be inspecting the other set as well!

Andrew

Adoepner

Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:49 pm

I went looking for a Honda Fit spare today at the local scrap yard, and found one. The yard let it go for $4.50 CAD with a jack! I walked away a happy man.

When I got home, however, I noticed that the tire size was 115/70D14, not the 135/80D15 that others had mentioned in this forum. 135/80D15 is supposed to be a good drop-in with the stock tire sizes. I thought that the tire I picked up seemed a bit small, and it was. Fortunately, it was nearly free.

Just for kicks, I tried it on my car (both front and rear). With the minor clearancing I had already done on the front struts, it fit with no problem. I expected when I drove the car that I would get the RBS, TCS, and ABS lights - sure enough they came ON. But for a car with 100km of range, meaning I'll be almost always within 50 km of home, it will work to get me home. I've never been a fan of tire goo and am much more comfortable having a spare tire.

I like that the wheel is quite compact. It fits quite nicely on the rear cargo deck lying flat behind the seats. I will be welding some nuts to the motor compartment lid so that I have a way to hold it down securely. The jack and tools will fit nicely inside.

Andrew

ed5000

Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:32 am

Nice find! I think you have a good idea with keeping it in your car just in case of a flat. As I recall that along with the error codes the regenative braking won't be working, but still, in an emergency...

You have me wondering what the smallest, lightest donut spare out there that would still bolt up to our cars with minor modifications would be?
2012 ES, Cool Metalic Silver, no quick charge, no fog lights and no navi but a cold weather package for when it gets 13 below, wait - it never gets that cold here.
"Silver Shadow"

Return to “Wheels - Tires”