Navigation system maps updates?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MalcolmReynolds

I am in the car buying process and one of the things I am considering is the benefits of the built in navigation system vs bring your own. How does Mitsubishi provide the updates for maps and firmware in the built in systems? Has anyone here done this to keep their navigation systems up to date?

Just wondering if these are kept current or it it is better to just look for a car without navigation and bring my own. Thanks for your feedback.

MalcolmReynolds said:
I am in the car buying process and one of the things I am considering is the benefits of the built in navigation system vs bring your own. How does Mitsubishi provide the updates for maps and firmware in the built in systems? Has anyone here done this to keep their navigation systems up to date? Just wondering if these are kept current or it it is better to just look for a car without navigation and bring my own. Thanks for your feedback.
Both of my present i-MiEVs have the Nav display. IIRC somewhere on this forum was a discussion about updates and it was rather costly. If you are buying from a dealer, be sure that an update is included in the purchase. In addition to the Nav system, I have an older Garmin which I use not only to display the DTG (Distance To Go) to the destination but use the Garmin as my primary navigation tool. I still haven't played and become familiar with the Mitsu nav system sufficiently to be able to quickly use it when needed.

Thanks Joe. That is what I was wondering about are the maps updates, cost and process. I know they used to be pretty costly before I bought the Garmin with lifetime maps. So it sounds like I am better off just using my Garmin.

It is all of these "unseen" costs that add up. I was looking at the Volt and the Leaf for a while and you are saddled with either Onstar or NissanConnect monthly charges just to use the remote management functions of the car. The list of untold costs just keeps adding up.

IIRC, the map update is around $250. I've never considered getting it as we use the car 100% of the time in areas we're very used to - We never have the map displayed because we know where we're going

The reason to get an SE Premium with Nav isn't so much for the Nav. It's 99% because that also gets you the DCQC and the Bluetooth and the upgraded HD stereo, although we get our music from a USB stick, which also works the same in the SE without the screen. The screen does give you better control over the music though

Don

I find the navigation console very useful, though haven't asked the price of an update or felt the need yet. (Of course, when I feel the need it will be too late.) The real-time-traffic is still working on my 2012, and the map doesn't lose connectivity in the urban canyons of Seattle like my smartphone maps do.

Hi all, long time lurker first post. I recently had my imiev in for the passenger airbag recall and asked about the navigation update. They couldn't do it and suggested Mitsubishi online. Found it, not cheap $200 plus shipping.
http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqNorthAmerica-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryID=.cUKCghB9jwAAAFA4QYOohv4&ShowAllProducts=YES

Any history on doing a group buy? I can stomach $20, not 200. Unfortunately I live in rural Ohio and have never seen another i in the wild.

Leeper said:
Any history on doing a group buy?
Would that even work? I like the idea, but I have my doubts. I see that the kit includes a dongle as well as a disc. My guess is, the dongle gets tied to the VIN of the first car it's plugged into, and won't let you install it elsewhere.

It really is a racket, this kind of pricing. You could buy a whole new Garmin for that, or spend $0, and use Google Maps on your phone, with continuously-updated, higher-quality maps. It's no wonder that the Bolt dropped any attempt at built-in navigation, in favor of phone integration.

This was posted on another forum as plugging in to the MMCS. The other side only has some passives.

!
ADYASQM.jpg
!

I have an email to the nav company to ask if I can update multiple imiev with the kit. I like the onboard system as the screen is bigger than my phone and integrates with stereo to quiet the music when it gives directions. Plus it doesn't burn any data.

Hello Ryan,

Thank you for inquiring about HERE Maps. Because the updates are VIN specific, two updates will need to be purchased, as each update will only work in the vehicle for which it was purchased.

If you need additional assistance, please send us your feedback by replying to this email.

Kind regards,

HERE Customer Service
P.O. Box 1588
Orem, UT 84059

Back