AC is not working...

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marathonor

Hi,
After AC bracket replacement last week my AC works very well. I did not use it for a few days, and as today is hot, I push the AC button and a few minutes later was surprised with no fresh air blowing...I stopped the car, restarted it and try again..it seems that the AC compressor is not starting (no noise)..the RR is affected by pressing the AC button but not AC anymore.

Any idea, things to check ? If it's the AC compressor, I'm not sure to change it as it costs about 1300$ for just the part...

Thanks in advance.

The i-miev unlucky guy...

Fan is working, heat is working...when I push AC button, the light on the button is OK, but I don't hear the compressor starting (there is a noise in the front when AC is on). Generally there is an odor when AC is working, and I don't have it currently.

The last events are :

- Last tuesday change the AC brackets in the dealer, AC works after that
- Last friday : big storm with heavy rain when I was on the highway, I've used AC and it was ok, did not use it this week end because did not use the car.

The car is OK, no suspect warning light, charging is OK..

I've just called the Mitsu dealer and he told me that he has just changed the AC bracket without changing everything. He asked me to came for an inspection ($$$) then I will decide what to do...

I can live without AC even if in Montreal it's actually hot....but not really happy..

Thanks Don and the forum for your advices.

Olivier

Try turning the temperature knob into the blue zone if it's not already there. Could also be a loose connector.

Do you mean there is normally a noise when the AC is on and now there's not, or is there still a noise?

Thanks PV1

The knob is in the blue zone. No noise at all when pressing AC button, as it was before (distinct compressor noise)...I've tried to check the fuse and @move@ some connection..start..stop..restart...press the button many time..move all the knob...

That's unfortunate :cry:

IF it's not something as simple as a loose connection (which is possible, since they just worked on it) then it could be either the compressor or it could also be the electronics which power the compressor. Unfortunately I don't think any dealership troubleshoots it down to the actual problem and replaces only the part needed to get it running again - They usually just order the entire compressor, which is an expensive part when you're beyond the warranty period

I guess you'll have to get an estimate on the repair cost and then decide if having A/C is worth that price to you - Where we live, there would be no question. A car without A/C isn't something we could live with for very long down here

Don

Thanks Don for your time. I won't pay for AC repair.
I've just had the car for 8 month and had a few issues with it.

Love it for sure but could not afford to pay expensive part/repair. I thought that I will save on gas but I've calculated that it has costed me more than a ICE.

Go tonight for a dealer quote for an exchange. My wife has a 2005 Corolla, she had never experimented issues.

Thanks for your support, I will keep the car for a few weeks/months perhaps and will decide.

Olivier

that's unlucky...

I go to St-Eustache for my maintenance, and everything no longer on warranty is expensive. ( like most dealer )

I have read somewhere that dealers make 1/3 of their money when they sell us the car and the remaining 2/3 from the repairs they do on the car.

I hope your A/C unit is not dead, please let us know the result of the inspection.

So it seems that the AC brackets problem is not a single problem reading the answers.

Should be a recall from Mitsubishi as a weak point in the car.

Hi Adam,

So we have the same dealer Mitsu St-Eustache !. Sure they make money as all the car dealer...generally I could go to my local garage but with the i-miev I doubt that he will investigate on a high voltage car (the AC compressor is plugged on high voltage).

There is a point that I don't understand is the fact that even with AC not working the RR gauge indicate less km when I switch on the AC button. So, either we have the computer making a calculation with the AC button ON, either my battery is drained without AC...

For the moment I won't go for an inspection, the mimimum time will be 1 hour to have their conclusion (98$/hour).

To stay positive, I could say that I am a i-miev testing laboratory !!!!

Olivier.

Marathonor said:
There is a point that I don't understand is the fact that even with AC not working the RR gauge indicate less km when I switch on the AC button. So, either we have the computer making a calculation with the AC button ON, either my battery is drained without AC...
Yes, the computer makes a calculated adjustment to the RR gauge when the A/C is switched on. If you have the fan speed set on low, the adjustment is less than if you have the fan speed set higher because the computer knows that the A/C works harder with faster fan speeds - I think this is true when you change the temp dial too, but I notice it more when I change fan speeds

So, evidently the computer *thinks* the compressor is running. It seems strange that this problem began shortly after they worked on the car though - Could be a coincidence I suppose. I wonder if it could be something as simple as a blown fuse for the compressor?

Don

On my kiev the RR drops when AC is on, and it is the same whether the MAX fan button is pressed or not regardless of the position of the regular fan. The fans don't affect my RR but the AC button sure does.

As Yogi used to say, it's too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence. It looks to me like they forgot or did something that has caused the AC to not work.

Fan speed affects RR when the AC light is on or when the temperature knob is in the red. Just turning the fan on without heat or AC won't affect RR.

I think also that it is too much of a coincidence, but when I went to the dealer it was because of the AC bracket problem, the compressor what knocking and perhaps it was damaged...when I exited the dealer the AC was working, and it has worked until last friday. I was driving under a heavy rain, perhaps something was wet...connection..cable ???
I will lift the car and have a look to the AC compressor...

Thanks to all for your support...

Olivier

Hello Olivier, sorry for your a/c trouble.

We live in Saint-Eustache, but we decided to buy our 2016 imiev from Boisvert Mitsubishi (Blainville).

I would recommend that you speak with Tony at Boisvert (450-419-4929) and explain your a/c issues.

I'm sure that they can work something out.

Question: did you buy your imiev from a dealer or private?

Brian

Hello Olivier, have your considered legal warranty?

Maybe the car you bought had a hidden defect (you did buy the car before hot summer)?

I would challenge this and ask for a refund and or get it fixed free of charge.

Under Québec law you have a right to a proper working vehicle, even if the warranty is expired.

http://www.opc.gouv.qc.ca/en/consumer/good-service/vehicle/car-purchase/used/damage-warranty/legal-warranty/

Your thought please,
Brian

Hi Frosty,
Thanks for your 2 posts.

I've bought my i-miev 2012 in nov 2015 from Mitsubishi St-Eustache (on av Dubois). I had 1 month of warranty, in which I had electrical problem covered under this warranty. They fixed everything and I was fine for a few months, until I decided to use the AC.

Yesterday, I've called Mitsu st Eustache and they told me that it's not under warranty and I need to pay for investigation.

The good point is that it's only AC which is not working, the car drive great. With her big windows opened I could accommodate the heat.

I will try to talk to Tony.

Thanks.

Olivier

Hello Olivier, when did you first bring the a/c problem to Mitsubishi Saint-Eustache attention?

I think that one month warranty thing is bullshit, and that they could be responsible for a hidden defect.

I would call the Québec office of consumer protection (you just got the car).

I would be very surprised if they don't negotiate for the repair before you take them to small claims court.

I'm sure you would win your case in small claims court.

Please don't delay on this, you should call consumer protect tomorrow morning and start building your case for a free warranty repair (you deserve nothing less).

Don't go on a war path with Mitsubishi Saint-Eustache, but you should politely insist on your consumer rights for this a/c repair.

Think " hidden defect" .....

Brian

Hello,

A little update about my AC not working. I've followed Brian advices and have called the OPC (Office of consumers protection). They told me that I can use art. 37-38 : a good should work and last for a certain period of time even if the warranty is over (depending the good and his price). Then I called on last friday Mitsubishi St Eustache and explained them what the OPC told me. They took 3 days to think about it and called me yesterday saying that they had an agreement with Mitsubishi Canada to replace my AC freely as a "good will". I'm very happy with their decision and I will have a new AC compressor (I think the cost is 3000$).

Be careful with your AC and use it on a regularly basis. If you suspect anything strange with it, use your warranty.

Olivier.

Back