Changed ETACS, how to program?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruudi

Hi my crashed Mitsubishi i-MiEV had ETACS ECU destroyed and I managed to get one from germany but it was from Citroen C-Zero. How can I reprogram the control unit to EV-ECU and how can I get the key learnt? I have TEXA universal car diagnostic computer and it can program those things but it asks somekind of 4 digit password. Has anybody done that and do you have the password?

Ruudi
EU
Estonia

I am not sure it can be done. Some of the VIN coded electronic modules can be re-coded with the dealer's M.U.T. scan tool, others cannot. I might be wrong but I believe the ETACS is one of the items that cannot be reprogramed and can only be replaced with a new uncoded unit which can have a one time VIN number put into it. The same problem occurs with a module that might have a identical part number but has different software specific to vehicle options. An example would be the A/C controller which physically interchanges and plugs in but is software specific depending on base, battery warming or CHAdeMO options. Don't ask me how I know that one ;) ! FYI----ETACS stands for "Electronic Time and Alarm Control System". This ECU controls CAN data throughout the vehicle and also uses a LIN buss (separate from the CAN buss) to control the steering column slave ECU. This is were your key immobilizer problem is coming from. I would head to a friendly dealer and see what they can find from Mitsubishi technical support on this issue before you go any farther. There has to be a solution, however it might be really expensive.

Thank you for answering.

At the beginning I did not have ETACS at all and I got the car charging from the wall!
All the can communication worked. I could diagnose EV-ECU and BMS trouble codes and live data. Instrument cluster worked and all the error lights were on.
IMGP4065.JPG

I hope you are wrong about Etacs programmability. In the etacs module data there is two lines for vin. One is etacs modules original vin and other is current vin. And in the manuals somewhere there was written about how to program EV-ECU and etacs communication going right.

I have an other idea:
If it's not possible to recode the vin and immobilizer key, then I have original etacs broken PCB where IC-s are physically ok but connetors are ripped off and pcb is bent. What if I desolder the EEPROM chip from old etacs and solder to the working C-zero etacs? Is the immo and vin data all in the eeprom or should I replace the microcontroller also?
IMGP4259.JPG

I am afraid if I do that and it will not work I have to buy another etacs, used ones are not available. New one is almost 280€ and I do not want to now how many months it ships from Japan to Estonia.

I have to get used ABS module also, will there be also similiar compability issues?

LIN bus is only for steering column switches. That is not connected at all. Immobilizer key ring "antenna" is directly connected to etacs module. I have double checked that and even measured with multimeter. Also in the ecu errors I have one witch says that another car key is learnt, that shows its working.

I really do not want to go to the dealer because there is very little "car" left.
IMGP4049.JPG

Are there some button-cell or coin-type batteries mounted to that ETACS circuit board--maybe used for keep-alive power to some memory chips?

Swapping eproms is a good idea--i've done that in cars back in the 80's by installing zip sockets when chips were much larger.

With the board exposed you can read all the part numbers and get datasheets for the chips--maybe there will be some clues about how and where data is stored. If you post the chips i will help look up the info and reverse the board. If the microcontroller is based upon 8051-family, mcs51 assembly language, then i have tools and experience to decompile the binary and get the source code. i would guess it is based upon Toshiba or Hitachi ICs.

i think i see why the ABS is throwing a code--you have a loose connection on one of the brake lines--should be an easy fix...

Maybe there is one battery but it is located near the central locking receiver. As you can see from previous picture I really do not care about that :)
There is EEPROM packaged in soic8 and the etacs module has constant 12V power also. I have already studied the board about two weeks and then gave up and bought another used ETACS. I have found the datasheets and I know what those chips do. I have it written down.

About ABS I do not have it it is destroyed. I tried to ask from reader opinion that if I get one used do I run into similiar problems like with etacs?

If you get what's left of the wrecked car working and weld on a hitch, you'd have a decent pusher trailer. What is the plan?

As long as there isn't a checksum or VIN encoding somewhere else on the board, transferring the eeprom should work.

Mind if I ask if this is the same car that crashed into a milk truck several months ago?

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2839

PV1 said:
If you get what's left of the wrecked car working and weld on a hitch, you'd have a decent pusher trailer. What is the plan?

As long as there isn't a checksum or VIN encoding somewhere else on the board, transferring the eeprom should work.

Mind if I ask if this is the same car that crashed into a milk truck several months ago?

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2839

Yes I have been thinking of pusher trailer. Somebody in this forum even has made a drawing of it. But I have a question, what do you think, will it work like that on 2 wheels? ABS and other systems want to "see" all 4 speed sensors signals. Right now its without ABS control module but if "car" is turned on and start signal is given no ready light comes on but if I turn the wheel then vacuum pump will start. It gets rotating signal from motors resonlver.

Yes it was the same car and crash.

Back