Does the I-miev have xm/Sirius radio?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billaz

Hey guys,

I am considering an I-miev to replace my leaf. Can anyone tell me if Sirius/xm is standard on this car? Or would it only be available on the SE with the navigation upgrade?

Thanks,
Bill

At least on the older cars (2012) they do not. In addition, there is no active "AUX" port to patch in a external radio. However, there is a thread on how to access pins on the standard radio to install a aux port. On the Nav radio model, I could only get SiriusXM by using the Bluetooth audio connection and streaming from my phone. I hope Mitsubishi straightens this out in the future as their radio offerings were state of the art when Disco was popular.

On the 2012:

- The "standard" unit is a CD player/FM/AM radio.
- The "upgraded" unit with navigation also includes a built-in hard drive for ripped CDs (but you have to let the car do the ripping), MP3 playback from CD or USB, and even DVD playback. But still no XM.

I don't know what changes have been made for the 2014 or 2016 models.

Apparently the "Mitsubishi Multi-Communication System" (the nav unit) does support XM on some other cars.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses. I was considering paying a bit more for an SE model if it meant having XM. But it sounds like I am stuck either way. My leaf was definitely better outfitted, but I am hoping I will have better luck with the Mitsubishi battery. Not pleased with the degradation I saw in my leaf.

Thanks,

Bill

Unless you want the extra features of the nav unit, I'd say stick with the base radio. Tapping the pins for an Aux. port is easy on the base radio and works well. Mitsubishi sells a harness for other vehicles to add the aux input.

Until I stopped my XM/Sirius subscription (the ads drove me away), I was successfully using their adapter (demodulator?) which connected at the antenna input into the radio and provided a clean FM signal with decent fidelity (much better than those 'transmitters'). Dunno if the i-MiEV radio has a conventional antenna input connector.

It does, but I seem to recall that there is a booster or something in the antenna base. Not sure if that's accurate. The radio appears to get a ground connection through the antenna port. I've successfully used a USB FM tuner with the stock antenna cable.

Back