Mystery EVSE re-engagement solved

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PV1

Staff member
So, I've noticed a couple of times that I would get duplicate charge complete notifications over OVMS. I couldn't figure it out until one day by chance I walked out and saw the EVSE engaged several hours after I knew the car was fully charged. Looking through the technical information manual, it appears that on i-MiEVs equipped with the battery warming system, the MiEV remote system activates the CAN bus every six hours as long as the regular charging connector is connected (J1772). In my interpretation of the wording, if necessary, the i-MiEV will activate the battery heating system when the remote pre-heat is activated. If the battery temps rise above the threshold within 30 minutes, the remainder of the pre-conditioning time will be spent heating the cabin. Otherwise, the system shuts down after the battery is warmed.

I did notice one morning that after 30 minutes on DEFROST, the inside of the car was still cold. Outside temp was -10 F. So, battery warming doesn't appear to be fully automatic. We have to engage pre-heating for it to work.

(I posted this under Climate Controls/Remote since it is the MiEV remote ECU that controls this function.)

WAIT.............................you had temps that low Already ???

please tell me you are talking about last Winter

;)

Wow that's a great finding.

So the remote must be used first to send a command for preheating, and this is stored in the car such that it will do this automatically in the future whenever the conditions are met? i.e., J1772 plugged in, temps below the limit, timer value met, etc.

Wonder if this is true for pre-cooling also?

Not exactly. Pre-condition commands are sent and executed in realtime only if all doors and liftgate are closed and the J1772 connector is connected. If you attempt to activate pre-conditioning without the car being plugged in or with a door open, it will respond with Error. Once pre-conditioning is active, though, the doors can be opened without interrupting the pre-conditioning. They only have to be closed to activate pre-con.

That is another feature I just noticed, too. For communication errors, the remote will flash ERROR and the antenna icon. For errors resulting from the car not being plugged in or not having power available, it will flash ERROR and the plug icon, with the exception of the delay start timer. It will flash the antenna icon instead of the plug icon.

Also, starting the car will clear any set charging timers. If you set a delay start timer for 5 hours while plugged in, unplug the car and start it, then turn it off and plug it back in, it will have cancelled the timer and immediately start charging. The manual charge button (right side bottom button) on the remote will also clear any timers and immediately start charging.

I will probably write up a tech reference article on this forum explaining all known remote functions.

I may have spoken too soon. In another part of the manual discussing the BMU, it states that if a cell is too cold, it will send the warming request command to the EV-ECU, which sounds like warming can be activated at any time.

Maybe it's both. During a regular charge, the BMU will activate the heater if necessary. After a complete charge, the warmer will engage with the pre-conditioning command from the remote if needed.

PV1 said:
I will probably write up a tech reference article on this forum explaining all known remote functions.
I'm sure that will be both a lengthy article and very well received by most of us who consider the remote control a true 'mystery machine!' ;-)

Don

Back