Remote + charging issue

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plankton

Last night is the second time I've had this issue. Before going to bed I check to make sure my iMiev is charging via the remote. It connects and indicts the car is charging. The charger then stops. I noticed the first time by luck and no longer trust the remote so last night I checked via the remote and thought i better go to the car to see and same thing, charging stopped. I unplug and plug back in to get it going again. I then tested it while in the car. Had the remote connect and it reports its charging then the red plug dash light flashes and goes out, charging stops. This doesn't happen all the time.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Any thoughts of whats happening?

Although they shouldn't engage with just turning the remote on, cycle through the remote and make sure that no timers are set.

Also, what level are you charging at, and whose equipment are you using? How long after hitting the remote does it take to stop charging, and how long does it stay off?

PV1 said:
Although they shouldn't engage with just turning the remote on, cycle through the remote and make sure that no timers are set.

Also, what level are you charging at, and whose equipment are you using? How long after hitting the remote does it take to stop charging, and how long does it stay off?

I'm using my original EVSE that I had upgraded from evseupgrade.com, so level 2.

Pretty sure the timer is NOT set but I'll confirm.

It happens as soon as the remote connects and as far as I know it stays off but I haven't left it to confirm

Plankton, when you activate the Remote, do you set the START time to zero and then set the ON-->OFF interval time?

My EVSEUpgraded Mitsu (Panasonic) EVSE works flawlessly with the Remote, although I've never used the Remote to just "check" to see what's going on.

I've used my remote to check but not set anything, and charging does stop briefly (only indicator is a meter between the cord and wall dropping down), but the charging lights stay on and it resumes within seconds. I don't remember the light going out, though.

something to try. The next time you plug in, try the remote, but also press the charge button (bottom button on the right with a plug icon), then tap the top button to send the command. This will reset any timers that might be stuck, causing your issue.

Plankton said:
. . . . and no longer trust the remote so last night I checked via the remote and thought i better go to the car to see and same thing, charging stopped. Any thoughts of whats happening?
The remote is not a very user friendly device - It has several functions and it doesn't tell you what's actually going on in a language you can easily decipher

You say you don't trust it . . . . yet you keep using it and it keeps doing the same thing to you ;) Put the remote in a drawer and charge the car manually and you'll not have these problems any longer

I *think* you have (one way or another) invoked a 'delay charging' protocol at some time in the past and it's still stored in the cars computer, so when you think you're checking to see whether it's charging or not, you're actually activating that 'delay charge' you inadvertently put in there back when you first began playing with the remote. When you activate that delay, charging stops

You can either A.) Spend some hours figuring out what the remote is actually capable of and how to invoke it's functions, *or* B.) Put it in a drawer and manually recharge by plugging it in when you want it to begin charging

If you use the remote for any purpose without fully understanding what it's capable of, you're going to get the occasional 'surprise' . . . . until you know 100% for sure what you're doing

Mine is in a drawer :lol:

Don

Well I wouldn't say I keep doing it. At the time I posted it had been twice.

Use the remote all the time to pre-heat/cool the car but it's always done charging at that point. I was able to reproduce it last night and noticed when the charging stops this dash light comes on:

FAULTLIGHTHighvoltageEVMiev_zpsa94d5922.png

Obviously needs to go to the dealer. I'll post back with what I find out.

Probably going to have a tough time with that one. They are going to ask about how you are charging your car, a normal question of course. You'll have to fess up that you've had your EVSE modified. At that point, the conversation will be over.

I would try your test on another EVSE, any but the modified OEM EVSE. If it happens again, then you would have something to tell the dealership.

Charge on level 1 and I bet this goes away. This is a known issue when charging on level 2. It's some incompatibility with certain level 2 charging stations which includes the EVSEUpgrade. If you push the send button again without changing anything (still a good idea to press the charge button once before hitting send to clear any timers), it should start charging again.

Do you have the 120 volt adapter?

Also, this light will flash if you try to pre-condition with a door open.

Are you possibly pushing the on-off/send button to turn the remote off?...which may be sending a previously set off-timer?? In which case, don't turn the device off. Just let it time out by itself. I believe it shuts off in a minute or two.

It's not a very intuitive device, is it?

Plankton said:

Use the remote all the time to pre-heat/cool the car but it's always done charging at that point. I was able to reproduce it last night and noticed when the charging stops this dash light comes on:

How long does the EMU light come on? Is it just briefly? If so, this happens with almost everyone- see this thread: http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=678&p=3911#p3911

I don't think there's anything wrong with your car or remote- it's less than perfect, often requiring a "dance" as I termed it to get things right.

Cheers-

Rich

nt2w said:
Plankton said:

How long does the EMU light come on? Is it just briefly? If so, this happens with almost everyone- see this thread: http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=678&p=3911#p3911

I don't think there's anything wrong with your car or remote- it's less than perfect, often requiring a "dance" as I termed it to get things right.

Cheers-

Rich

Awesome find, that's exactly my issue, thank you!

We have so many posts for Remote issues that I've simply picked this one to continue the discussion. In a separate topic,
PV1 said:
The remote is flaky with level 2. It works perfectly on level 1, though. My remote seems to work on the ol' "third time's a charm". If I activate it on level 2 and try to preheat, I have to hit send three times for it to take, waiting for the error after the first two sends. The first send is an error, send two shuts off charging, and the third send activates preheating. If I go to preheat after the car is fully charged, it works on the first time, every time...
You'd think that after 3-1/2 years we'd have this sussed out. In my case, the problem occurs only with Level 2 charging with either the old SPX Power Xpress or with the EVSEUpgraded Mitsu EVSE.

PV1 provided a methodology that *almost* works every time. In my case, I've found that after hitting the "send" button twice and getting the "Error", if I then wait about ten seconds before hitting it the third time, then it works. :? FWIW

Back