Canion

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertC

The Canion app is now available on Google Play (for free!)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=emobility.canion&hl=en

This app is used for Citroen C-Zero/Peugeot iOn/Mitsubishi i-MiEV electric vehicles to store and visualize data from the cars can-bus.
These data are streamed to the android device via obd-ii diagnostic interface plug and an obd-ii bluetooth adapter via bluetooth interface.
The app has been tested successfully on:
Samsung Galaxy S2/S3, Note1/Note2, Tab7
Asus Nexus 7 (2012)
Recommended OBD-II Bluetooth-Adapter:
OBDLink MX (scantools.net) or STN1110 OBD-II Adapter (batman.homelinux.com) equivalent or better

I have been using a 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 and an OBDLink MX Bluetooth Scan Tool for about four weeks now to run this app on my i-MiEV.

Thanks to Martin and Xavier!
RApJ3VD.jpg

I'd try it on my Galaxy Captivate, but the bluetooth (one of my most used features) quit working. It locks the phone up every time. Opens on the S3, though.

This would be pretty neat to quantify how much regen I get. I drive a different route right now that's up and down hills and stoplights galore and still average out to about the same as a level road, kWh wise.

From one of my Leaf friends I borrowed an el-cheapo (~$100) Android tablet (brand name Sanei) and an even-more el-cheapo ($11) ELM327 Bluetooth interface.

The Good News:
1. The Canion app loaded seamlessly (wow, it has wonderful features!)
2. Plugged in the ELM327 into the iMiEV and got it to talk with the tablet:
a. The vehicle must be turned on with READY showing
b. The connection to Bluetooth must be made within one minute of plugging in the ELM327
c. The undocumented PIN for the ELM327 is "1234" (without quotes)

The Bad News:
The ELM 327 doesn't see the iMiEV CAN bus (I don't see anything show up on Canion)

Two questions:

1. Anything I can do to poke around and see if I can get the ELM327 to work?

2. Are there any alternatives to the $150 OBDLinkMX or $85 STN1170 suggested by RobertC?

I know, i know, you get what you pay for… :(

Thanks for any help.

JoeS said:
The Bad News:
The ELM 327 doesn't see the iMiEV CAN bus (I don't see anything show up on Canion)

Two questions:

2. Are there any alternatives to the $150 OBDLinkMX or $85 STN1170 suggested by RobertC?

I know, i know, you get what you pay for… :(

Thanks for any help.

I have another ELM327. Works in all other cars I test (Torque for Android is a cheap and great app!), but no with the i-Miev. Perhaps lack of speed or mem capacity, don't know.

Don't find any OBDII on ebay with STN1170 or STN1110 chip. The cheapest for me is the

http://batman.homelinux.com/blog/stn1170-bluetooth-obdii-adapter/

$110 (outside USA), ...but with another $100 or so for management fees, taxes, and VAT.

JoeS said:
The Bad News:

Two questions:

Translated from the German forum:
"In OBD adapters should not just take the cheapest one, since this obviously only support a limited set of commands or are simply too slow to handle the amount of data on the CAN bus."

It doesn't look like the ELM327 will work.

Bonsoir
Only the above mentioned OBD interfaces will work with canion.
The reason:
Canion doesnot make requests, it analyses passively the can bus.
From 1600 frames/sec present on the bus, we use 405 frames/sec.
To do this, we filter the "interesting" PIDs , so the application can "see" only these usefull frames.
This is necessery because of the limited Bluetooth's Bandwidth and to avoid the filtering by the application (CPU load).
Only the interfaces based on STN11xx provide this filtering functionality.

Canion is now on playstore(for free, no ad, no spyware).
Last release (from today) manages well the new Nexus 7.

Xavier

Barbagris, thank you for confirming that the ELM327 is not suitable.

PriusFan, thank you very much for the explanation of the Canion app operation and its interaction with the OBD Bluetooth device. My brief look at Canion made me drool... I really appreciate it being available for free on playstore, but is there some way of remunerating the authors for all their hard work?

I've returned the Android tablet and ELM327 to my Leaf buddy and will be pursuing the 'appropriate' hardware on my own... time to cross over and tip my toe into the Android world. I still have the Mac I bought in 1984 (reluctantly got rid of my beautiful late-1970's S-100 bus-based Northstar Horizon desktop computer with 8" floppies) and have been a MacOS and now iOS person since, and have only been forced into Microsoft's OS by some unique battery management hardware/software needs (using a neighbor's discarded PC laptop that has an RS232 port).

JoeS said:
... is there some way of remunerating the authors for all their hard work? ...
+1

CanIon is wonderful. I bought Andy Honecker's $85 STN1170 Bluetooth OBDII Adapter. The first time I ran CanIon, I typed in the "1234" pairing code. Now it pairs automatically on my SAMSUNG GT-P3113 7" tablet. No more setup. No baud rate, parity, 7 or 8 bit... Nothing.

Just to get a good percentage type SoC is worth it for me. But it's great to see the Amps and kW numbers (and their history) change as I turn on the high beams or watch the vacuum pump kick in (another reason to minimize non-regen braking). Double tap the graph and It goes full screen. Nice. Just watching each cell charge and change temperature is way better than most TV programs.

Andy gets his $85 for each of his world class adapters (Thank you Andy. It works great and is so tiny.), but what about Martin and Xavier? This is great software and it keeps getting better. I'm impressed.

Thanks to Martin and Xavier!
Do they have a PayPal account for donations?

Does anyone know which adapter is better in terms of refresh rate, connectivity quality, 12 volt battery drain? The OBDLink MX looks promising, and I can't wait to try it with my Captivate (galaxy S phone), however, the STN1170 is half the price.

I finally got the bluetooth fixed on my phone. I ended up installing a custom Android 4.0 ROM. The user interface is much darker than Samsung's stock.

JoeS said:
I've returned the Android tablet and ELM327 to my Leaf buddy and will be pursuing the 'appropriate' hardware on my own...
Maybe there's another option for those of us who prefer the iOS world. If I could get the Android source, I should be able to port it to iOS. However, doing so would be only a hobby, so it could take a while. If Apple's new iPhones look interesting, I might have to buy one to use for development.

I think Apple's limitation is in the Bluetooth permissions and protocols, not the fact that there isn't an app (at least that was their issue in the past on the original iPhone)

Got my setup in place, just need to get an OBD connector. I'll have pictures soon.

Pulled the trigger on the OBDLink MX, and should have it by the end of next week. I've been doing some tweaking on my Captivate. I have it set up now to where it gets power from the car's USB port. The cable is routed up underneath the radio to the cover on top of the dash, then goes across to the phone. It's mounted in a dash-mount phone holder (with that fancy new micro-suction grip material to stick to the dash). When I start the car, the phone automatically turns on, starts charging, turns on Bluetooth, and opens the CanIon app. When I shut the car off, it exits the app, turns off bluetooth, and shuts the screen off 15 seconds later, all automatic (I love the flexibility of Android). As promised, here are pics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lna6zir4xpyfkye/20130910_184621.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/48n42xvwlxb16oc/20130910_184629.jpg

Malm said:
Can you clarify in what smartphones and tablets it works?

Tested successfully on:
Samsung Galaxy S2/S3, Note1/Note2, Tab7
Asus Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=emobility.canion

If you have an Android tablet/smartphone with bluetooth and high resolution (1280x720 or better), it probably works. Anyway, you can install the app, and test in "demo mode"

The problem is the OBD-II interface, the cheap ELM327 on ebay don't work, you must go to OBDLink MX (scantools.net) or STN1110/STN1170 OBD-II Adapter (batman.homelinux.com)

Back