New Car Charger

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Praxlus

Hi guys,

I`m new to the electric field and I am just getting my first level 2 charger. I was going to get the Eaton one that Mitsubishi Canada was recommending, but after my friend who love Leviton products convinced me to go that way I did. Here`s a few pictures of the charger.

_1000698_zpsd2d40708.jpg

_1000702_zps723bf1f1.jpg

_1000701_zps7488cf86.jpg

Anyhow, I`m looking at a better level 1 charger, does anyone have a good suggestion other than the factory one and the Leviton one? Thanks!

For level 1, you can have the Mitsubishi cord upgraded for just shy of $300 to give you 12 amps at both 120 and 240 volts. I believe this requires Revision 2. The site is http://evseupgrade.com . You can also go with the open EVSE route, which will give you 8-16 amps at level 1, and level 2 up to 75 amps. Of course, the i-MiEV can only use about 15 amps at level 1 and 16 amps at level 2. With open EVSE, you have to buy individual pieces and put it together yourself, although this and the EVSE upgrade are the cheapest options. Doing the uprade to the Mitsubishi cord that comes with the car would be your best bet. There are others on this forum that can help you out more than me. I'm going to go with the upgrade option when I get my car next March.

What you bought is a Level 2 EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) - The 'charger' is built into the car

There are several Level 1 EVSE's on the market, with different features (some with user selectible charge rates) with prices ranging from around $500 to $1K. Do your homework and figure out what needs you have and which is best for you. It's an expensive purchase, so make sure you get the correct one for you

Don

Glad Don said it, that is a big confusion. The chargers are on board in most EVs. What you have hanging on your wall is the EVSE, its basically a circuit board (PCB), some fuses and a big honkin' relay that you'll hear go 'ka-Thunk' when the charging starts. The onboard charger sends a signal to the EVSE after its been connected to the car that tells the EVSE whether its ready to charge or not. If everything is good to go, then you'll hear the fan come on and then charging proceeds.

The one you bought looks like a heavy duty commercial model built to last for years. Very nice indeed, must have cost plenty. Does it have any connections to view diagnostic data like kWh used, etc? I have the Schneider EVSE, not very rugged and for indoor use only but it does the job and I don't get any warning lights on the instrumentations. After you hook this up, check out this thread: http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=678

It will be interesting to see if it passes the remote test or not.

What part of Canada are you from - a few Canadians on this forum. I'm an Expat American living in Canada but still working in the US. Been a citizen for a few years now. Enjoy your new EV. We sure do.

No, it is a cheaper model which doesn't offer that information sadly. It does offer a really heavy case and a really long cable (18 feet). For$1200 bucks as compared to the 16A version that they also sell at $800 I can't really complain. It is watertight and dust sealed, which works for my out door 'garage'.

By the way, I'm in Alberta and I'm trying to find the guy who got the first i-MiEV in the province if anyone knows (First in Calgary if that is anything).

Back