SPX Power Xpress problems

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon

My SPX EL-50600 got soaked in the downpour over the weekend and now the Power LED is on but the Status LED is off. Does anyone know of any master reset other than the little reset button on top? I really don't want to send it in.....but, good thing I still have the SLOW Mistsubishi EVSE.

I love the versatility and other durable aspects of this model, but it's critical to add a seal the little snap cap that covers the amp adjustment potentiometer. The manual says silicone, I prefer dilectric grease to allow easier readjustment in the field. The raised lip that surrounds the LED panel can hold a puddle of water over the most sensitive components! I've got one dead unit to dissect and see if horizontal drain holes can be drilled through the side of that lip/rub rail.

A couple of days ago I bought a J1772 extender cable from EMW (never know when I need to extend the cable past an ICE'd spot) -

https://emotorwerks.com/store-juice...-level-2-charging-station/category_pathway-39

It works fine with our basic and EVSEUpgraded Mitsubishi (Panasonic) EVSE on both 120vac and 240vac. Presumably it will work ok with a commercial charging station.

It does NOT work with the SPX Power Xpress EVSE (red light on the EVSE comes on). For that matter, the SPX doesn't work by itself with the Tesla. I've contacted Bosch, but they're unresponsive after I described the problem. Here's the unit now marketed by Bosch - BEWARE:

https://www.boschevsolutions.com/charging-stations/power-xpress

Just an FYI in case someone is considering an SPX.

Pity, as the Power Xpress was the first unit available that would operate on both 120vac and 240vac and had programmable currents and I thought I would future-proof myself with the higher current capability when I bought it. The SPX does work with the Fiat 500e as I had loaned it to a friend for use with a 14-50 outlet.

I also purchased a SPX Power Xpress about 5 years ago for my 2012 iMIEV. It has worked great for that period of time. A couple of months ago I purchased a low mileage 2014 iMIEV and went to charge the new car with my Bosch SPX Power Xpress. To my surprise the SPX Power Xpress wouldn't connect and just kept faulting. I called their customer service line and they suggested that I take the car to my Mitsubishi dealer to make sure there wasn't anything wrong with the car, even though the car charged on every other Level II EVSE, I decided to do it and find out if there were any firmware updates for this issue. The dealer talked to Mitsubishi after trying to apply the firmware update apparently for an similar issue with Clipper Creek EVSEs. Mitsubishi says there is nothing wrong with the car, but wouldn't elaborate on why there is some technical difference between the 2012 and 2014. I again called Bosch customer service, again and as of now they have not responded with any suggestions or solutions. I also will be parting with my very expensive Bosch Power Xpress EVSE shortly and probably won't ever be purchasing any new Bosch products, even though I have been a fan of their products for many years.

Silver Mitsubishi 2012 iMIEV w/ 46K miles
Blue Mitsubishi 2014 iMIEV w/ 9K miles
British green Toyota 2003 MR2 Spyder w/ 120K miles
Magnetic Grey Toyota 2015 Prius C Four w/ 20K miles

Back