SPX voltec charger on 110v?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logandzwon

Does anyone know if I wire up the SPX voltecs to a 110v outlet for level 1 charging?

On the specs it claims;
• Operating Voltage: 95/264V - (30A Circuit)

I have a SPX Power express and it can be run off of 120v level 1 or 240v level 2. I bought the SPX because it was the only power supply, I could find, that could do both.
revised: I spoke too soon.....
The spec sheet for the SPX voltec lists input as 208/240v 15amps. Though it lists 95v-265v for a input range I'm sure it is limited by the small gauge J1772 wire. Mine has a 10 gauge wire. If I were to up the current to more than 30 amps I would be required to change to an 8 gauge wire.
It looks like yours has a 12 gauge wire which is good for 15 or 20 amp circuit. Remember, 240v uses 1/2 of the amps as 120v.

Well, the limiting factor on our i's is the charger input amperage, which will take a max of 16 amps on 120 or 240V service, if it can get it, and won't pull any higher. My SPX power express delivers that just fine with a simple plug adaptor, and I haven't managed to blow a 15a breaker yet while opportunity charging at 16 amps/ 120V.
Logandzwon, I think you'll be fine with the voltec on 120V- just don't leave the cord in a tight coil, spread it around- it'll get pretty warm on a long 16a charge.

I had the names of the chargers mixed up, it was actually the Power Xpress I was thinking of.

Thanks for your responses guys!

jray3 said:
Well, the limiting factor on our i's is the charger input amperage, which will take a max of 16 amps on 120 or 240V service . . . .
Are you sure that's right? It will pull 16 amps @ 120 volts? The J1772 standard for Level 1 charging says 12 amps max I believe. Has anybody tried to Level 1 charge at more than a 12 amp rate?

Don

I level 1 charge with my Power Express at 14 amps measured from the wall with a kill-a-watt.

jray3 said:
Yep, I've built an adaptor and the SPX set at 16 amp max on 120V pulling a steady 1750 to 1755 Watts, according to my Kill-a-Watt meter. The adaptor uses 15' of 12 gauge wire on a 20 amp circuit, next to see how much that stresses 15a circuits. This makes a 120v recharge reasonable for full recovery overnight (9+ hrs) for those without easy 240V access. In other words, the Mitsu Level 1 EVSE only recharges at 2-3 mph, but SPX is yielding 5.8 mph and 240V level 2 is recharging at about 10.6 mph. (based on observed charging amperage and 300 w/hr/mile, without conversion losses.)

Ok, so I fibbed :oops: here's my much earlier post from when I first built the adaptor. Calculates to only 14.6 amps at 120V...

Back