problem with original L1 EVSE

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jray3

I'm evaluating a friend's 2016 L1 EVSE, the version that has a button for adjustment from 12A to 8A. She claims it cuts out and the car barely takes any charge. the car charges normally from their L2 unit, a Duosida. So far, the L1 unit charges other vehicles fine in testing for an hour or two, but I may have found one anomaly. When using a Leviton Evr-green EVSE Tester (built because what EVSE-installing electrician actually drives an EV to the jobsite?), it trips an external GFCI if I perform the ground fault test. Shouldn't the internal GFCI protection in the EVSE disconnect first? When testing the EVSE on a non-GFCI outlet, the red trouble light comes on and the EVSE disconnects. When testing on a GFCI outlet, the circuit just goes dark. Any other ideas?
Thx,
Jay

I'll give it a full-recharge test soon as I can. Since I'm driving over 150 EV miles per weekday, I don't have much time to fool around on L1!!

I would test the OEM EVSE from an outlet without GFCI protection before I called this an EVSE problem - Many times, two GFCI devices in series will give *unusual* results, depending on the EVSE installed in the wall. *IF* it works 100% of the time from a non-GFCI outlet, I would just remove the GFCI

Don

Agreed Don. The original EVSE trips a GFCI when I test it with a ground fault, but just shows a red error as it should, when plugged into a non-GFCI outlet. It charged an Outlander PHEV normally overnight at 8 amps, so I'm about ready to proclaim the EVSE good, will do another full recharge at 12 amps next..

Back