kevin1956murray

Re: ChargePoint Charging Question

Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:39 am

Below is the relatively quick response I got from submitting Monday's discovery that the "post pause" rate went back to 3kW when the other cord became available. I plan to hit them up in another week or two to check on status. Given that this has been a reported problem since January, I doubt there is any reportable progress in the last several days.

Your request (#ChargePoint Support) has been updated.
1342511: Driver Reported Station Fault

Steve Thomson (ChargePoint Support)

Jun 3, 13:33 MST

Kevin,

Thank you so much for the thorough details you and the other MiEV drivers have discovered. I will bring this up for sure with our software team for them to look into.

Again, thank you for all of the details.

Steve Thomson
Driver Support Supervisor
ChargePoint | chargepoint.com

JoeS
Site Moderator

Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:41 am

Quick update:

My friend responded enthusiastically as he has a dual-port EVSE available to him in the lab.

Monkey's on my back to schedule this in - probably week after next. In the meantime, I'll see if I can verify that 36%SoC triggers the 'timeout' in my car.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

kevin1956murray

Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:05 pm

I look forward to finding out what the pilot signal does during a pause. I appreciate that help.

To close out an older question on that Clipper Creek recall or not: I called a Mitsubishi dealer (service department) and the guy looked the car up using the last 8 digits of the VIN. No recalls showed as 'open'. I asked specifically if the SC-13-001 February 2013 recall shows on the list, and the answer was less definite. He just described some dates and work (one being "computer update"), but none labeled by that recall number (as least that he could quickly see). So I'm thinking that even if that recall were optional, I would hope the database would show it as 'still needed' for my car, so I'm thinking my car likely did get that recall done.

JoeS
Site Moderator

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:09 pm

Well, in preparation for going down to ChargePoint I thought I'd verify the 36% point at which the 'timeout' occurs.

I drove my car down to two bars and plugged into my old 240vac JuiceBox (rare for me at home as I use 120vac nowadays), set up my Android with CaniOn to run off a separate USB power source, and went away and then came back to monitor things as the SoC approached 33%...

Sat there watching it go all the way to 42% with no 'timeout', so I went back into the house to see what my house power and JuiceBox monitors were saying and they both showed that the 'timeout' had already occurred much earlier! My uncalibrated guess is that the 'timeout' took place at about 25% SoC. :geek:

So, perhaps 36% is not the magic number which instigates the 'timeout'? Never could figure out what triggers it.

Anyone have any suggestions for setting up some sort of automated elapsed-time snapshots or screenshots of CaniOn to capture both the instant that the 'timeout' kicks in as well as its duration?

What I want to do is be able to drive down to ChargePoint and deplete my pack getting there (sufficient to guarantee a 'timeout' will occur) but also not wanting to sit there more than necessary waiting for it once I'm there.

As an aside, I have such a 'timeout' feature on one of my West Marine lead-acid chargers (after about two minutes into a charging session it stops charging and checks for excessive voltage sag before continuing with the charging cycle) , but have not heard of it on any other BEV.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)

JoeS
Site Moderator

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:45 pm

Yet another data point. My car's battery capacity is reading 38.7Ah on CaniOn.

Another data point.

Came back this morning with seven bars. Plugged into 240vac as I needed to go to a meeting early this afternoon. Set Remote for 1-1/2 hours. Charged to 12 bars and 74.5%. Checking my home monitor I see that a six-minute 'timeout' registered fifteen minutes before the car stopped charging, which means it did a 'timeout' somewhere around 65%-70% SoC.

ChrisEV

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:32 pm

JoeS wrote:The hint by ChrisEV that the timeout occurs at 36% is a great clue, as I had previously never been able to understand when this occurs.

Hi JoeS,

Here's data from my OVMS module the last time it happened in December:

Columns are SoC, charge voltage, charge current and charge state.

You see my plug in at the very top at 15% SoC. OVMS captured moments later when the charge speed was still ramping up at 222V/2A.

It then settles on 218V/14A until it reaches 29% SoC and you see the current drop to 0A.

20 minutes later it resumed charging at 218V/14A.

Here's the session:

This was not a Chargepoint Unit. I think I have a session from a ChargePoint unit I have OVMS logs for.

Edit:

I have 3 timeouts on ChargePoint units back from March.

Happened at 29.5% and 34%. Happened at 29% if I plug in at <20% SoC and 34% when I plugged in at 33%. These sessions were on a busy day with a lot of driving and 2 DCFC sessions before.

The other session I was at the hotel.so I moved the car to the charger in the morning at 36.5%.

It didn't time out until 69.5%. That was about 10 minute time out.
2012 i-MIEV SE Premium

JoeS
Site Moderator

Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:15 pm

ChrisEV, thanks for that information. So, that timeout does not necessarily correlate to SoC. I will continue monitoring my charging a little more closely, as another variable to look at is the point at which timeout starts after charging commences.

kevin1956murray

Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:45 am

On my MiEV, I am finding that if I take it down to about 18 miles left (about 30% SOC), it is anybody's guess if it will pause or not. If it does pause, it will likely do it within minutes of plugging in. If I take it down to about 10 miles (likely 15% SOC), it will pause for sure, but maybe about a half hour after starting the session.

I do not often get the pause at the higher end, when having started the charge from the low SOC end. In other words, I rarely see two pauses per charge. But I may get a pause when starting from 50%.

JoeS
Site Moderator

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:45 pm

So, this morning I met my friend at ChargePoint to do some testing.

ChargePoint HQ has at least two-dozen charging stations in their parking lot in addition to a couple of dual CHAdeMO/CCS DCFCs and a couple of single DCFC units as well. Almost all of the J1772 units had cars plugged into them.

Now, I had planned on depleting my i-MiEV down to below 20% before I got there but the traffic stymied me and I ended up driving much slower than anticipated so I arrived at ChargePoint around 30%. Not to worry...

Commandeered the only available charging spot - a dual-head unit at a disabled parking spot. The other side had a BMWi3 plugged into it, but it was not drawing anything. So, we set up my friend's J1772 adapter box to measure things...

The voltage was 223vac and the pilot was telling the car that 29.9A (edit: correction, as previously I had written 29.5) was available. My friend said that if the other car had been charging that the station's pilot would have told my i-MiEV that only half that would have been available.

Plugged in my i-MiEV and I had CaniOn active to keep an eye on things.

The i-MiEV was drawing exactly 14.0A.

Less than ten minutes into the charging cycle, at 33.5%SoC, my i-MiEV started the 'timeout'! I think the 'timeout' only lasted the requisite six minutes and then the car jumped back up to drawing 14A.

OK, so what does that prove? With the neighboring car plugged in and not drawing any current and no unplugging or replugging of that neighboring car, the i-MiEV behaved normally; i.e., it returned to full power draw.

So, what's next? My friend offered to setup a dual station and J1772 monitor at his home (closer to where I live) as he has a NEMA 14-50 outlet available and we can repeat the test using his car (a Spark) to actively draw power while the i-MiEV is charging and then doing it's timeout. If we see that reduced power draw we can then unplug his car to see if the power jumps back up, all the time monitoring the pilot signal. Our goal is to catch the i-MiEV pulling 1.1kW and see what the pilot signal out of the EVSE is saying.

I'll take him up on it in the near future as we'll continue pursuing this elusive critter (bug).

kevin1956murray

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:09 pm

Thanks for that experiment. But kind of disappointing that the bug of slow charging did not show up.

I don't think I've ever seen my car jump right back to full draw (3kW) right after a pause when it is on a dual cord Chargepoint station. I either have to call in for a reboot (which is not allowed anymore), or go to the car to physically unplug and restart, or hope that a neighboring car will unplug.

Now I'm thinking my car needs some update, or maybe Chargepoint just (in the last four days) had a software update to address the problem, or something else not yet understood is going on.

Below is a charge trace from just 4 days ago, showing the kind of charge that I get from dual cord stations.

Return to “EVSE (Charging Stations)”