Japanese range extender--to the rescue

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiev

i'll bet there's an app for that...

The EDS-11 mobile battery charger/discharger from Saikawa Co., Ltd. incorporates Toshiba's SCiB™ rechargeable battery. The EDS-11 weighs less than 350 kg, the maximum load of light commercial vehicles. It can be charged from a stationary charging station and rapidly supply power to a vehicle when needed. The EDS-11 is subsidized by the Next-Generation Vehicle Charging Infrastructure Promotion Project.

UdS9wfg.png

zouKuv3.png

Using Toshiba's Super Charge Ion Battery (SCiB) which can be recharged to 80% in 6 minutes, based upon Lithium Titanium Oxide (LTO) or aka lithium titanate cells.

Japanese video

I was wondering if the little Mitsu van that carries the battery pack is also an EV, and if so, what would it's total range be if it used the big battery pack in the back...

That depends on the size of the camelpack. That van is the Minicab-MiEV, which likely has the same 14.5 kWh SCiB pack that most JDM i-MiEVs have.

wmcbrine said:
So tiny, the wheels...
Been thinkin' 'bout that, as I have a set of 12" aluminum wheels that have been proven to take the weight, as they were on a lead sled conversion for a decade.
Small diameter wheel/tire combinations not only drop the gear ratio, but have less rotational inertia to resist acceleration. One source shows that smaller wheels can actually have more rotational inertia to slow down from a given mph, as their higher rpm more than offsets the lower mass in some situations. Well, that's no problem with good strong regen! Of course, it would introduce speedometer and odometer exaggeration, but might be fun. I haven't checked yet whether 12" tires are available that would stay within the front/rear rev ratios that keep the ASC happy.

In detail; The wheels came off a 1993 Ford Festiva conversion and are "4x114.3 mm", but that matches what I'm running on the Grumman KurbWatt with adapters to 4x 100. The wheels clear the MK1 VW Rabbit brakes on my Grumman, but probly won't fit over I-MiEV front calipers. Since the Grumman has a DC series-wound motor, it already has more torque than top speed, but it's a fun thought exercise.......
Too bad the tires were toast, as I won't waste new rubber on this experiment...

misterbleepy said:
you could go even smaller - Minilite still make 10" wheels in Aluminium and also lightweight Magnesium
g_30_l.jpg
Thx- didn't know that. They're pretty private about pricing, but I found a vendor at around $140/wheel.

Back