wmcbrine

My first real i-MiEV problem (but I think it's the EVSE)

Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:39 pm

So today, I ran into my first real problem with this car -- it wouldn't charge.

I ran it down to 9 miles RR, two bars, intending to do a calibration charge. Plugged it in to my OpenEVSE, and walked away. On a whim, I checked in three hours later, to find it stopped. WTF? I looked closer, and found it had only charged 1 kWh! So I tried unplugging and replugging it. That worked... for about two minutes; then it just stopped. There was no error message on the EVSE. I'd got about 0.1 kWh into it. Tried again, and it wouldn't even start charging. At this point I was wondering if my battery had suddenly gone bad... but maybe it was the EVSE? I tried rebooting that. No change, Finally, after running the radio and fan for a bit, I watched the process from inside the car. After a few minutes of normal charging, it briefly showed the "Electric motor unit warning light" (car with an exclamation point), and then shut down. Uh-oh.

Still, I wanted to rule out the EVSE, so I drove to the public charging station at the library, only a block from my house. And there... the car seemed to charge just fine. I only stayed a little over half an hour, but I got more charge than I'd got in all those hours on the OpenEVSE. So I came home and put it on the level 1 charger it came with, and that seems to be working fine, too. It's just too bad I don't have another EV to test against the OpenEVSE.

I should note that the OpenEVSE is running an alternate firmware called "NoSpark", and further, it's a version I've modified myself. But, I've already successfully charged hundreds of kWh with this version.

I haven't yet looked at caniOn while this is happening; I guess that's next.

wmcbrine

Re: My first real i-MiEV problem (but I think it's the EVSE)

Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:00 pm

Update: Nothing looks burnt inside the EVSE.

And that's about the extent of my hardware debugging skills. ;)

JoeS
Site Moderator

Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:14 pm

As long as you can charge with your Mitsu EVSE and a public charging station, you don't have a car problem (whew!) IIRC, Don has an OpenEVSE.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

wmcbrine

Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:29 am

Almost fully charged on L1 now.

Don
Site Moderator

Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:34 am

There are dozens of versions of the Open EVSE. Mine is a very early iteration which has none of the later models software upgrades. I built it in a plastic camera case and we've used it exclusively as our only L2 charger for both cars - Never a hiccup or burp of any kind in the 3 or 4 years we've been using it

Good to hear you don't have a problem with the car - EVSE problems while rare are still easier and cheaper to fix!

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1994 Miata 60K miles - Soon to be sold
1979 Honda CBX six into six

wmcbrine

Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:58 pm

I've bought a JuiceBox to replace (at least for now) my OpenEVSE. One successful charge so far.

Return to “EVSE (Charging Stations)”