Number of Miles charged per hour

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

I learned that my iMiev charges around 15 miles of range per hour on level 2 charging.

I'm trying to figure out what number of miles it charges per hour on level 1 charging. I estimate around 7 miles per hour.

I wonder if this is true for all iMievs.

I drove from Marietta, GA to Athens, GA, home of the University of Georgia. My car made the journey with 84 miles of range. The distance is about 80 miles. I drove between 40 and 60 miles per hour on the way. I ended in Athens with about 13 miles of range while driving conservatively and switching from D mode for the highway to Eco mode for local roads.

I want to drive to Macon, GA on another day off. The distance would be 105 miles for me. I may need to charge for an hour at a shopping center beside I-75 near McDonough, GA just to ensure that I had enough charge to get to Macon. I may be able to recharge in Atlanta and spend some time in the city while I wait an hour on my way back to Marietta.

I'm learning that having memberships with multiple charging companies is useful for road trips.

Aaron

prodigious1one said:
I learned that my iMiev charges around 15 miles of range per hour on level 2 charging.
I'm trying to figure out what number of miles it charges per hour on level 1 charging. I estimate around 7 miles per hour.
I wonder if this is true for all iMievs.
It all depends on the EVSE you're using, as mdbuilder correctly pointed out

If you have a Level 2 EVSE on a 15 amp circuit, your car charges as fast as the 3.3Kw charger can do it, which is around 15 miles an hour. If you have a 15 amp Level 1 EVSE, the charge time would be exactly half that rate, or about 7.5 miles an hour. The OEM Panasonic EVSE which came with the 2012 cars is limited to just 8 amps, so it's only about 2/3rds of the maximum, or around 4 or 5 miles per hour. If you have another, higher powered Level 1 EVSE (or if you've had your OEM Panasonic unit modified by EVSE Upgrade) then you'll get about 7 miles per hour using it

I'm guessing your car isn't DCQC equipped? That would be the ultimate solution for those longer trips - Get an 80% charge in just 20 or 30 minutes

Don

Hi Don,

Yes, my imiev has no quick charge port.

I may trade for an electronic car that has quick charge. However the road trips are interesting with only level two charging since I can see more places and enjoy destinations during more time.

But I'll probably still trade for a level three car through car max or otherwise.

I hope the Chevy bolt will cause a decrease in price on the first generation electric cars.

Aaron

I think the first generation cars are pretty well bottomed out pricewise now - If the price went any lower, the battery would be worth more than the car. A $30K 2012 iMiEV with 25,000 miles on it can be had for about $5K in many locations. Hard to imagine the Chevy Bolt affecting that price much if at all

Don

OK, time to do the math, support the information in the previous posts, and beat this topic to death -

i-MiEV 'fuel' consumption (wall-to-wheels)

EPA: 30kWh/100mi ==> 3.33mi/kWh (Ref: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=36023)

JoeS: 4.2mi/kWh measured over 8000 miles (Ref: http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5744#p5744)

Hypermiling, any i-MiEV driver worth his/her salt could easily get 5mi/kWh

For the sake of this discussion, let's use 4 miles/kWh ==> 250Wh/mi

In this post I'll ignore DCQC as the rapidly-tapering nonlinear input means charge time varies and I haven't quantified this.

OK, here goes for J1772 - pick your EVSE:

8A Level 1 (Mitsubishi original stock Panasonic EVSE)

8A * 120vac = 960W ==> 960/250 = 3.8mi/hour charging

12A Level 1 (EVSEUpgrade.com, Clipper Creek, new Mitsu EVSE, etc.)

12A * 120vac = 1440W ==> 1440/250 = 5.8mi/hr charging

13A Level 2 208vac (most commercial L2 charging stations, one phase of three-phase commercial input)

13A * 208vac = 2704W ==> 2704/250 = 10.8mi/hr charging

13A Level 2 240vac (EVSEUpgrade.com and many commercial L2 charging stations)

13A * 240vac = 3120W ==> 3120/250 = 12.5mi/hr charging

Funny, for myself I never think in terms of miles/charginghour, but instead simplistically convert everything into fuel gauge bars. Here's my own rule of thumb:

8A L1: 4bars/5hours charging

12A L1: 6bars/5hours charging

13A L2 (240vac): 3bars/hour charging

Question: has anyone measured more than 13A input current on the J1772 input?

Nice calculations.

Per some testing I did, current tapers as voltage rises and holds a max power of 3,016 watts. My OVMS module has reported 14 amps a couple of times on stations running under their rated voltage (197 volts on a 208 volt station).

When I use the Charge point station on the way to the dealer it reports 3.0 Kw @ 208 volts (3 phase wiring) and estimates 12 miles per hour. 3,000/208=14.4 amps.

Canion reports 12 to 13 amps at home on the 16 amp Clipper Creek EVSE @240 volts, battery at 50% SOC...

Back