I have searched the internet for a portable Level 2 charger

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allsmiles277

What is the best portable Level 2 charger out there ? I have visited several websites. Is Ebay the best place to purchase Level 2 chargers ?

The 'charger' is built into your car - What you're asking about is the EVSE which is essentially nothing more than a 'smart' cord

Have EVSE Upgrade.com upgrade your OEM 120 volt 8 amp EVSE to a 120@12 amp/240@13 amp unit. Less than $300

http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=8

Don

Already talked with them and was told my EVI car charger is a piece of junk. I will shop around and see what I can find.

As I mentioned, the charger is actually in the car. Our OEM Panasonic EVSE is considered by most everyone to be one of the most rugged and reliable units out there. Dozens of us here have had the EVSE Upgrade done (many of us have been using it for 3 or 4 years . . . . 4 years in my case) and I cannot recall a single person here ever posting a problem of any kind with the Panasonic EVSE

You can buy a cheap piece of junk EVSE for $500 to $600 many places - We do hear about problems with those from time to time

Another alternative is to build your own. Check out Open EVSE. I built one 3 years ago (120/240 L1/L2 auto switching, selectable from 6 to 16 amps) and it's also been serving me well with no problems. Cost me about $300 to build from scratch

But - To answer your original question, the upgraded OEM Panasonic EVSE is certainly among the 'best portable L2 units out there' - Millions of hours of use by dozens of us with nary a reported failure

Don

allsmiles277 said:
What is the best portable Level 2 charger out there ? I have visited several websites. Is Ebay the best place to purchase Level 2 chargers ?

If I were buying one today it would be this one. Small versatile (any input voltage) and powerfull enough to get the shortest L2 charge times possible with the on board charger in the car ;)

https://emotorwerks.com/index.php/store-juicebox-ev-charging-stations/1661-juicecord-pro-20-portable-smart-20-amp-evse-with-20-foot-cable/category_pathway-23
Aerowhatt

Don said:
If I were buying one today it would be this one. Small versatile (any input voltage) and powerfull enough to get the shortest L2 charge times possible with the on board charger in the car ;)

https://emotorwerks.com/index.php/store ... pathway-23
Aerowhatt

Nice features on this EVSE , things always changing

Don said:
Dozens of us here have had the EVSE Upgrade done (many of us have been using it for 3 or 4 years . . . . 4 years in my case) and I cannot recall a single person here ever posting a problem of any kind with the Panasonic EVSE, the upgraded OEM Panasonic EVSE is certainly among the 'best portable L2 units out there' - Millions of hours of use by dozens of us with nary a reported failure.

I must heartily agree with Don. I have two i-miev's and have had both EVSE's upgraded. Use them everyday charging away at 240volts. But for portability they're easy to take along when we go camping. And we have two of the 120Volt adapter cables, if we ever want to take the unit somewhere where only 120volt is available. (hasn't happened yet, but it could). When I had mine done the upgrade was just $289 each. Money well spent....they work great.

Just google "EVSE upgrade" for more info.

Back