Home charger Level 2

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vitocar

Just bought a 2012 this past weekend. Are pretty much all the home Level 2 chargers compatible? Connectors the same? I am looking at a Siemens VersiCharge unit.

Congrats, and welcome.

In the US at least, all level 1 and level 2 charging stations (120 volt and 240 volt) use the same connector, which is the J1772 connector.

A 16 amp charging station is enough to charge the i-MiEV at full speed, but future-proofing yourself by getting a 32 amp station will allow newer EVs to charge at 6.6 kW (the i-MiEV has a 3.3 kW charger on-board) if you think you will be getting another EV in the next few years.

For less than $300, you might want to also consider the service offered by EVSE Upgrade - They will turn your OEM Panasonic Level 1, 8 amp unit into a Level 1/Level 2 switchable 12 amp unit - That might be all you'll need. Dozens of us here on the forum have had this done and I can't recally reading about anyone who wasn't happy with what they got for the money

Don

I do fine with just the original charger. But then I don't have to leave once I get home from Work

I did fine with the original charger for the first year and a half, but I would recommend a level 2 for home. It's good to have a backup as I learned when I broke my l1 unit, plus after all that time charging at l1, my l2 feels like a DCFC sometimes!
Look on eBay. I picked up a new Bosch 16amp for $250.

Pete

vitocar said:
Just bought a 2012 this past weekend. Are pretty much all the home Level 2 chargers compatible? Connectors the same? I am looking at a Siemens VersiCharge unit.

I have the VersiCharge unit and like it very much. I do most of my charging with it, mainly because of the super easy to use timer delay. It's far more convenient than the remote control timer in the car. Plus with the VersicCharger if you select the time delay before you plug it into the car you don't get the start/stop behavior that is required to use the cars remote for a delayed charge. It has got to be better for the whole system not to have all of those false starts daily while setting the remote time delay!

Aerowhatt

Back