Confirmed - Eaton pulling out of commercial EVSE

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PV1

Staff member
I heard a rumor at the NDEW even on Saturday that Eaton was getting out of charging stations.

I was just digging around on their website and could no longer find the pages for their commercial level 2 or quick charger units. They do still have a residential level 2 unit on the site, as well as a pedestal with outlets for level 1 charging.

I wonder what this means for future support of existing equipment if it's true. There are a lot of Eaton units in my area.

PV1 said:
I wonder what this means for future support of existing equipment if it's true. There are a lot of Eaton units in my area.

Well, if the company by itself is not going to close, I think we will be fine to have our unit serviced if needed ;)

Just confirmed it with my work's Eaton rep. They are no longer producing charging stations. They will continue support as best they can.

Not really. I guess there are so many companies making charging stations, they couldn't compete. More than likely, the infrastructure build-out in my area is done, so the business isn't there to justify continued manufacturing. Like many companies around here, they're probably going after oil and gas :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .

PV1 said:
Like many companies around here, they're probably going after oil and gas :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .
AFAICT, Eaton's main business is electrical equipment of all kinds. They make boxes, outlets, etc. EVSEs seem like they'd fit into that, but I guess it didn't work out for them, for whatever reason.

I know. My workplace is an electrical contractor, and we use a lot of Eaton electrical products. Except for a firmware issue (that's been fixed for a while) with the 6.6 kW Nissan LEAFs, their EVSE and quick chargers work really well.

I forgot to ask the rep yesterday what this will mean for public charging at their Experience Center in Cranberry. A lot of drivers depend on those units. It won't be a killer for it to disappear, but that will put me at one of two dealers with Signet chargers.

Electrical isn't all they do, though. They make superchargers (not those Superchargers :lol: :mrgreen: ), powertrain, hydraulic equipment, aviation equipment, and more.

Update: Apparently that's how Eaton works. They'll hit a market with products, then quit making them a few years later.

Back