Memtec portable 120/240V, 10/16A

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmcbrine

This seems similar to the AeroVironment TurboCord, but cheaper:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-Leaf-chevrolet-volt-charging-cord-cable-J1772-EVSE-level-2-1-Station-/251912737710?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Unfortunately I'm only seeing it on eBay, shipped from Israel for $80. (!)

At $450 including shipping, it's a good bit more than the EVSE Upgrade for your stock Panasonic unit and it doesn't really do any more than the upgraded unit - Rugged, portable !20/240 unit with adjustable current

Don

Whenever I see someone recommending the Upgrade... you get that it means sending away my only means of charging the car, right? :eek: (Well, not counting public chargers.) That's enough to make it not my first choice, nor my fifteenth, at least until after I have something else in place. (I'm also not digging the paperclip mode change thing. This at least has a switch.)

Whenever I see someone recommending the Upgrade... you get that it means sending away my only means of charging the car, right?
Yes. I continued to drive my car for the week my cord was being upgraded. I chilled at the Nissan dealer for an hour every day after work. I did some work and played a few games on my laptop. Of course, not everybody is going to do that. As for the paperclip current adjustment, we thought that was quite ingenious, as it required no extra wires or holes in the brick. Granted, it could be a little more user friendly (including a J1772 holster to program instead of relying on the user to form a jumper), but it gets the job done, especially for something that may rarely get used.

You can contact EVSEUpgrade about their advanced replacement. For LEAF owners, they send a cord to you, you send your cord to them, and then you swap back once your cord is upgraded. Given that they have excess stock right now, they would probably offer it to i-MiEV owners.

Then again, having a backup charging solution isn't a bad idea. I've been tempted to buy a Turbocord at times.

Back