Quick charge fix

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsantala

My C-Zero has developed a problem with CHAdeMO quick charging. It manifests by being unable to start charging or charging cutting off with an error. Turns out, a number of i-MiEVs and iOns in Finland have had to be repaired for this issue. I've contacted my dealer to find out how to proceed with my car. Apparently the fix is to change "some relays" and/or "charging components". Anyone else aware of something like this? Apparently the error code on the charging stations related to this issue is always 0x0504 - whatever that means.

jsantala said:
... 0x0504 - whatever that means.
http://www08.abb.com/global/scot/sc...ent_6.0_FOUNDATION_Fieldbus_Configuration.pdf
0x0504 Parameter inconsistent
ABB Device Management said:
The error code is a hexadecimal value constructed from the Fieldbus Message Specification (FMS) error class, error code and additional code.
For example: 0x0a050000 means error class
10(0x0a), error code 5, additional code 0000.
Error codes may occur due to software issues, such as software incompatibilities, incorrect firmware, which are hard to predict. One of the common issues are
duplicate PD tags that can be resolved by removing one of the devices.
Device Type Reader Error Codes Error Class/Code Description

FMS Initiate Errors
0x0000
0x0001 Maximum FMS Protocol Data Unit (PDU) size insufficient.
0x0002 Feature not supported.
0x0003 Version od incompatible.
0x0004 User initiate denied.
0x0005 Password error.
0x0006 Profile number incompatible.
FMS VFD Errors
0x0100 other
FMS Application Errors
0x0200 Other
0x0201 Unreachable
FMS Definition Errors
0x0300 Other
0x0301 Object undefined
0x0302 Object attributes inconsistent
0x0303 Name already exists
FMS Resource Errors
0x0400 Other
0x0401 Memory unavailable
FMS Service Errors
0x0500 Other
0x0501 Object state conflict
0x0502 Pdu size
0x0503 Object constraint conflict
0x0504 Parameter inconsistent
0x0505 Illegal parameter
0x0506 Unsupported service
0x0507 Unsupported version
0x0508 Invalid options
0x0509 Unsupported protocol
0x050a Reserved error code
0x050b key parameter mismatch
0x050c Assignments already made
0x050d Unsupported device redundancy state
0x050e Response time-out
0x050f Duplicate PD Tag detected
FMS Access Errors
0x0600 Access other
0x0601 Object invalidated
0x0602 Hardware fault
0x0603 Object access denied
0x0604 Invalid address
0x0400 Other
0x0401 Memory unavailable
0x0605 Object attribute inconsistent
0x0606 Object access unsupported
0x0607 Object non existent
0x0608 Type conflict
0x0609 Named access unsupported
0x060A Access to element unsupported
0x060B Config access already open
0x060C Invalid header option
0x060D Unrecognized Field Device Agent (FDA) Address
FMS Object Dictionary (OD) Errors
0x0700 Other
0x0701 Name length overflow
0x0702 Overflow
0x0703 Write protected
0x0704 Extension length overflow
0x0705 Od description length overflow
0x0706 Operational problem
0x0800 Others
FMS Reject Errors
0x0900 Other
0x0905 PDU Size

Interesting. I wonder if the codes are the same on DBT stations? Those are the ones which give that error. Like here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8s4u8ra6tpbgypz/AAArD5OFMQ0IDXCFNQnqep5Da?dl=0

Has anyone else been experiencing this problem? On some stations it just says CAN error.

Nope, I've never had a CHAdeMO session fail if the station was in good order. Of course, there have been many failed Blink stations, and two Nissan-branded failures, but those failures were always duplicated by a LEAF shortly afterwards...

Not sure if it was the Signet charger or my i-MiEV, but Koorz had a lot of trouble quick charging today.

First, when charging, it would not take any more than 27 amps (roughly 10 kW from a 50 kW unit). Then after about 10 minutes of charging, it stopped with a CAN error. I've retried multiple times and kept getting CAN errors after each restart after 30 seconds of charging.

I didn't have CaniOn running, so I couldn't see if there was an issue with the battery regarding the slow charge rate. I'll try this charger again with Bear.

The dealer did some balancing act and sacrificed a couple of goats, but not actually any physical changes to the vehicle. Haven't been to a CHAdeMO yet to see if their magic worked. I'm very sceptical. Other than that they checked the traction battery supports, so that's done too.

Ok, so the plot thickens. Looks like it is some DBT CHAdeMO stations, which have the latest firmware installed, which are incompatible with all cars made by Mitsubishi. I stopped at an ABB charging post and it worked just fine on my C-Zero. Apparently DBT in their great wisdom have decided to drop support for older protocol versions. Unsuprisingly, Nissan vehicles, the DBT partner, has no such issues.

wmcbrine said:
Is this a pure software thing? Can our cars be updated?

Yes, both the stations and/or the vehicles could be updated to work with one another. I'd bet a fix to the stations is more likely to happen. Apparently they are discussing about it in Japan, but remains to be seen if they can figure out a way to make everything work again.

Turns out the car manufacturers have evidently deviated from what was supposed to be the CHAdeMO standard protocol. In the case of the i-MiEV, I've been told that it will not accept an input charge current below 5Adc. Makes it tough for new CHAdeMO charger manufacturers who design to meet what is supposed to be the specification, but in the US at least they only need to worry about the Leaf, i-MiEV, and Kia SoulEV.

I wouldn't worry much about terminating charge at 5 amps. We're pretty much full then anyway. The latest DBT firmware passes the isolation test, but as soons as the current is ramped up during charge it stops and fails.

EVTV and Damien Maguire have also found out that some CHAdeMO stations will not handle voltages below 200 VDC well. Probably the reason why Zero also dropped their investigation into including CHAdeMO on their bikes. They run low voltages on the Zero bikes.

jsantala said:
I wouldn't worry much about terminating charge…
Consider workplace slow charging: direct solar dc into CHAdeMO to avoid the inefficiency of inserting an Inverter-->J1772-->OnboardCharger into the charging path. PV1, this is what you were looking for three years ago: http://pairedpower.com Ooops, gone off-topic again. Sorry. :oops:

Nice canopy.

I used that SigNet unit again with Koorz. I didn't encounter any errors and had a smooth 15 minute charge, but it still only took 9 kW (27 amps). Is the fact that my EMU warning light on would decrease the charge rate, as Bear and LEAFs charge at full 50 kW. The connector wasn't warm and the voltage was reading about the same (charger was reading lower than CaniOn), and all cells were coming up together.

PV1 said:
I used that SigNet unit again with Koorz. I didn't encounter any errors and had a smooth 15 minute charge, but it still only took 9 kW (27 amps). Is the fact that my EMU warning light on would decrease the charge rate, as Bear and LEAFs charge at full 50 kW. The connector wasn't warm and the voltage was reading about the same (charger was reading lower than CaniOn), and all cells were coming up together.

What was the voltage reading on CaniOn? If it was 360 or 361 then it'll simply have to lower the current to keep the voltage from going higher. On my C-Zero I've noticed the current dropping as early as 40% SOC. It's just the way these cells are. Current LiFePO4s can take a much higher current much longer before reaching top voltage.

Leafs will also keep a higher current going further than our cars. They also charge to a higher voltage, 4.2 per cell, vs. 4.1 on iMiEVs. Their secret sauce may also be different. So you can't really compare LEAF vs iMiEV charge currents.

340-350 volts was the range when I was charging. I started charging around 35-40% SoC and stopped at 51%, and that took 15 minutes.

Cell temperatures were elevated (29 C), but the AC or vents never came on.

Maybe my issue deserves its own thread.

jsantala said:
My C-Zero has developed a problem with CHAdeMO quick charging. It manifests by being unable to start charging or charging cutting off with an error. Turns out, a number of i-MiEVs and iOns in Finland have had to be repaired for this issue. I've contacted my dealer to find out how to proceed with my car. Apparently the fix is to change "some relays" and/or "charging components". Anyone else aware of something like this? Apparently the error code on the charging stations related to this issue is always 0x0504 - whatever that means.

i have this same problem when trying to charge from an Eaton dcqc, different error codes, but the codes indicate that the main breaker inside the Eaton has tripped.

There is a second smaller breaker circuit for the low voltage supply that taps in to the power before the big main, so the controller is still alive to monitor and report status.

Were the DBT units that you tried single or dual chargers?

They have been stations with just CHAdeMO or both CHAdeMO and CCS.

Turns out the dealers have no knowledge of this fix I had been told about and it seems there is none, except for DBT to fix their stations, but we'll see if they ever do that.

The current situation is that four single CHAdeMO stations (with no CCS) here in greater Helsinki area are completely unusable.

Back