broken cable end

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoodruff

While the car can not be "started" when plugged in, a new driver (my daughter, in this case) might think the car is ready when it is not, and if parked on a slight hill (in our driveway), the vehicle can roll forward.
My question is this: Where can I get a new "plug", you know, the pistol-grip thingy that broke when she rolled ahead?
It can only be had from the dealer as a complete charger, list price almost $1,500. My local electrical house can source the part by number, but it's not yet available as a replacement part. Please help, we miss our "puddy-tat."

I bought the bare charge handle on eBay when I built my Open EVSE - I think I paid about $150 or so a year ago

I don't see any bare charge handles there now, but the same $150 gets you the handle with the cord now. Search for 'J1772 charge' and see if something there will work for you

Don

Open EVSE has a whole list of suppliers of connectors and cables. Might be simpler to splice in the cable and create a very long one? :roll:
If I recall, http://www.tucsonev.com/ does sell the bare plug as well.

I'm surprised the car rolled, as I thought it first had to be energized to get out of P. Lesson to all of us...

twoodruff, whereabouts are you located? If in the SF Bay Area I'll be happy to loan you an EVSE so you can get back on the road...

Edit: Another thought - if you send in the Mitsu EVSE to EVSEUpgrade.com they can probably repair it at the same time they do the upgrade (the upgrade is well worth the money). Be worth the call to find out.

If you are in a hurry:

http://store.evtv.me/proddetail.php?prod=J1772cable

Maybe getting a Voltec EVSE from a Chevrolet shop (Chevy Volt) or Opel Ampera is very fast and selling them not much more expensive.

JoeS said:
I'm surprised the car rolled, as I thought it first had to be energized to get out of P. Lesson to all of us...
After tinkering with mine today, just being on (not READY) is enough for nearly everything on the car except the motor to function. The ability to roll with the plug in is something that should be fixed in the next model year/firmware. I'm surprised that only one recorded incident has taken place.

I am actually quite happy the car can be moved without unplugging. Charging in the wild I often have to move it a bit and I am glad I do not need to interrupt charging or remove the cables first.

A friend used to have Smart ED and he had to rent a forklift to move it more than once. That is why "used to have". He did not own the car but the car owned him.

Back