EVSE Upgrade

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

For those of you who waited and haven't got this done already, your procrastination has really paid off!

They now offer adjustable charge current settings - From 6 to 12 amps in one amp increments on L1 and from 6 to 13 amps in one amp increments on L2 . . . . all for only $287!!

http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=8

Don

Sounds really versatile! Only downside I can think of offhand (comparing it to buying the Clipper level2 charger that's currently on sale for $500) is I'd have, so to speak, "all my eggs in one basket" if my one and only combo L1/L2 charger failed or got damaged or stolen.

Don, Do you have the earlier version of this upgrade?

I've been using the original version of the evseupgrade.com product on my Nissan LEAF for 2 years as my daily plug. It's worked flawlessly, both at home and at 4 different RV parks.

Randy
Fresno, CA

What is the charge acceptance rate for 2012 at 120v?
I thought we can only do 8 amperage. The 2013 in Canada can do 12. Mitsu made improve ment for 2013.

Can I buy a new 2013 evse charger or do evseupgrade to charge faster at level 1?

If it was that simple to have faster charge at level 1, why Mitsu did not include a charge option.

Other threads on this site have theorized that Mitsubishi limited 120V charging to 8A to reduce loads on the wiring. So yes, it is that easy to get faster L1 charging.

randy3 said:
I've been using the original version of the evseupgrade.com product on my Nissan LEAF for 2 years as my daily plug. It's worked flawlessly, both at home and at 4 different RV parks.

Randy
Fresno, CA

Hi Randy,
So I take it you got an adaptor that fits RV park 240 volt recepticles?
Did you get that from the EVSEupgrade folks?

Have any report on charging with your evse-upgraded on 120volts?
Like how long for full charge at 12 amp (vs the stock 8amp limit)?
Theoretically it should charge 1.5 times faster than stock even on120volts.... 14 hours instead of the nominal 22 hours.

Alex

Nearly everybody needs an adapter to use the upgraded OEM EVSE - They return it to you with a molded L6-20P twistlock connector installed on it - You mate that to a pigtail with a L6-20S twistlock on one end and then whatever plug you need on the other end to fit whatever you want to plug it into. At a minimum, you'll need their $25 pigtail which has the standard NEMA 5-15P so you can plug it into an ordinary household outlet. Another pigtail for 240 volts would also be advisable. I don't use either at home because I installed two matching L6-20S sockets side by side in my garage - One for 120 and the other for 240. To use it away from home though, I'll need the pigtails

Yes, I've been using the earlier version of their upgrade for about 9 months now. I use mine 99% of the time on 120 volts @ 12.5 amps for everyday charging. I also have a homebuilt Open EVSE which I keep plugged into the 240 outlet for those rare times when I need a faster recharge

Yes, Alex, your figures are about right - It's a roughly 50% faster than when it was an 8 amp unit. Mine recharges at about 5 or 6 miles per hour . . . . 11 or 12 hours for a full recharge if it was nearly empty

camiev said:
What is the charge acceptance rate for 2012 at 120v?
I thought we can only do 8 amperage. The 2013 in Canada can do 12. Mitsu made improvement for 2013.

Can I buy a new 2013 evse charger or do evseupgrade to charge faster at level 1?
The acceptance rate using L1 is about 15 amps, I think. The upgraded EVSE would do 15 amps *if* the cable from the EVSE to the car had heavier wires, but it's only 14 gauge, so they have to limit the current to about 12.5 amps. Your upgraded stock EVSE would make more $$$ sense than a new one because both do 12 amps L1, but the upgraded one also does it on L2

Don

Don gave as good an answer as I could.

I do not have my iMieV yet, but it probably works like the LEAF. The car determines the power draw after communicating with the EVSE.

I bought 3 pigtails when I upgraded, then went to a hardware store and bought the most common heads, a 30 amp TT, a 50 amp RV, and a standard 120 volt style. Most of the time it charges in my garage just the way I got it from EVSEupgrade.com, plugged into a dryer outlet. I carry the other heads with the cable when I go on out of town adventures. Until we get more EV infrastructure built out, RV parks are a great resource. I always call ahead and ask, offer to pay $10, which is a standard dump charge (so they can process the charge), and tell them the max amount of time that I will be there. While charging, I use the facilities like the pool, spa, restaurant, etc. It takes a lot of planning and I don't do it often, but it can be fun. I've only had 1 RV park owner say No to my request.

I'll second Randy on charging at RV parks- can be very useful. However, I'm 0 for 3 on trying to get park owners to consent to a listing on PlugShare, offering their stalls to travelling EV'ers. They're too scared of losing an RV overnighter, and said that it'll usually be okay on a case-by-case basis for those 'in the know', but not if it's their last open slot or a reservation is inbound....

I was pleased with how much faster the car charges on 110v, 13 amps, and everything works great at 220 with my new twist-lock outlet.

I did have to send my EVSE back as it needed a presumably forgotten firmware upgrade and kept faulting. He paid shipping, but it was still a big hassle since it's my only EVSE. It's been flawless since, however. I don't know what kind of converters I'll need apart from a standard 110, and at $40-50 a piece it's a bit steep if I don't know I'll be needing a charge.

I personnaly use only one universal adaptor. It is made of 3 wires ( about 18 inches) with individual blades to be inserted separately. I use it almost anywhere, being it 240 volt, 120 volt or even two 120 volt for quick 240. I use it on the road only not for home recharge.

Don said:
For those of you who waited and haven't got this done already, your procrastination has really paid off! They now offer adjustable charge current settings - From 6 to 12 amps in one amp increments on L1 and from 6 to 13 amps in one amp increments on L2 . . . . all for only $287!! http://evseupgrade.com/?
Hey Don, thanks for the info as I had been waiting and hoping for a "new improved" version. Just dropped off my Mitsu/Panasonic EVSE at UPS to them this morning.

Think you'll like it Joe - As it was explained to me, they managed to do it without adding any new external components which would affect the watertight integrity of the 'brick' . . . . they use the existing three LED's on the unit to tell you what is going on, and you step through the adjustments using the button on the charge handle

Don

Don said:
Nearly everybody needs an adapter to use the upgraded OEM EVSE - They return it to you with a molded L6-20P twistlock connector installed on it ....Don

Hi Don,
Thanks, again, for you as usual detailed and helpful reply.

What do you mean "nearly everybody..?" If it comes with only a twistlock connector wouldn't everybody need one or more adaptors for it? Or you couldn't plug it in anywhere?

Alex

acensor said:
What do you mean "nearly everybody..?" If it comes with only a twistlock connector wouldn't everybody need one or more adaptors for it? Or you couldn't plug it in anywhere?
Alex, you are correct, but some may elect to replace the EVSEUpgrade connector; however, for anyone purchasing the EVSEUpgrade and its L6-20P connector, it is a trivial exercise to fabricate an adapter to match virtually any connector configuration in the world!

For my "fleet" of electric vehicles (I now have seven, if you count an electric scooter and bicycle) I had long ago standardized my garage and vehicle 240vac connectors using the NEMA L6-30 twistlock configuration, with a whole slew of adapters which allow me to use virtually any 120vac/240vac outlet in the US with my SPX (and now also EVSEUpgraded Mitsu) EVSE. I had considered cutting off the EVSEUpgrade L6-20P connector and replacing it with L6-30P, but decided not to and instead will simply use one of my existing L6-20R to L6-30P adapters in additon to the L6-20R to 5-15P adapter I purchased concurrently with the EVSEUpgrade. More info than you ever wanted, and since this photo was taken I've made a few more adapters...
:geek:
MitsiAdapters.jpg

JoeS said:
I had long ago standardized my garage and vehicle 240vac connectors using the NEMA L6-30 twistlock configuration, with a whole slew of adapters which allow me to use virtually any 120vac/240vac outlet in the US .......... More info than you ever wanted, and since this photo was taken I've made a few more adapters...
:geek:

Don, that is one impressive collection :cool: !

But haven't you reached point of diminshing-returns --- as the weight of carrying those all around is cutting back your range? ;)
Seriously: Useful to know. Thanks.

Alex

aarond12, thank you for the picture but EVSEUpgrade needs the L6-20R connector and not the similarly-looking L6-30R you posted. :?

acensor, I doubt that Don has as extensive a collection of adapters as I do. So far, I haven't needed to take the entire box of adapters and extensions with me in the iMiEV, as I've known exactly what I needed (usually to mate with a simple 10-30 dryer outlet). You're right, the whole collection is heavy and I would only take it all with me if I were going on a long 'adventure' trip into the unknown… ;) Incidentally, some of those adapters are left over from my sail cruising days...

acensor said:
Well, by 'nearly everyone' I guess I meant 'everyone but me' - Since my upgraded EVSE came back with the L6-20P twist-lock plug on it, I went ahead and used that same plug on my home-built Open EVSE (L1/L2 16 amp) and then I wired two L6-20S sockets in my garage to be able to plug them into. One socket is 120 volt, 20 amp and the other is 240 volt, 20 amp and since both of my EVSE's are auto-switching L1/L2, I can plug either into either socket

As you will find, the beauty of the twist-lock plugs and sockets is . . . . they never accidently come disconnected, like household outlets sometimes do. When you plug them in, you so a slight turn after the plug is all the way in and that 'twist' 'locks' the plug and socket together, so they won't come apart until you untwist them - Perfect choice for EVSE's IMO, also because they are legal and rated for either 120 or 240 volts. The same would apply with the L6-30 version you show in the picture . . . . those are nearly the same, just rated for higher current - They won't interchange though

I did buy the twist-lock adapter pigtail from EVSE Upgrade though so I could plug it into a standard household outlet should the need arise and I also bought another with no connector on the end, which I could add a plug to match whatever socket I chose. So far, I haven't used either one though

Don

Back