Recall: Schneider EV Link Gen 2

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danpatgal

I just received a recall notice for the Schneider EV Link Gen 2 I purchased (and have since returned), but figured some here might be interested. I got a PDF in an email to me, which is also here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/134793434/Recall-Notice

It's a shame something as simple and straightforward to build as an EVSE needs to be recalled just to make sure it's safe and doesn't damage the car!

I don't know a thing about Schneider, but reading this would cross them off my list of companies I would consider buying any electrical product from

Don

danpatgal said:
I just received a recall notice for the Schneider EV Link Gen 2 I purchased (and have since returned), but figured some here might be interested. I got a PDF in an email to me, which is also here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/134793434/Recall-Notice

Thank you for posting this notice!

To summarize that document, in short - as part of our ongoing quality test and monitoring process - Schneider Electric has recently discovered an out of tolerance test result in one vendor's plug/cord-set assembly we used within our EVlink charging stations that occurred on or between December 6th 2012 and March 17th 2013.

Effective immediately, Schneider Electric is offering free replacement of the affected plug/cord-set and service for all affected EVlink charging stations.

To see if your charger is affected, simply check the first 5 digits of your serial number to see if they fall on or within the affected range 12494 to 13117. If they fall within this range, please contact our Services team at 877-283-7647 (available 24 hours a day/7 days a week) or email [email protected].

Schneider Electric's EVlink version 2.5 is now available!

What's different? Now includes upgraded convenience features including easier usability, expanded vehicle compatibility, wider installation options and industry’s first personalize your charging station feature with a custom skin or a photo of your choice that comes standard with your purchase.

Get it from Home Depot and you can get a Free in-home consultation!
Just call 1-800-466-3337 enter code 267. Installation services provided by The Home Depot authorized independent professionals.

Check it out at Home Depot's website:http://www.homedepot.com/p/Schneide...Enhanced-Model-EV230WS/203670265#.UZuLEaJJOhE

How about looking at the new Bosch ev charger
http://www.pluginnow.com/power-max
price is $449
it is about time that 240 V chargers are selling under $500
consumers will have to make the difference by supporting these kind of choices
and bringing the prices down to a more reasonable level
there is no reason why a home unit should be more than $500
only disadvantage I see is that it is not easily removable from wall
e

I dont like Schuko plugs and sockets because I have smudged two of them now. They are not built for 16A.

Schneider Electric has recently discovered an out of tolerance test result in one vendor's plug/cord-set assembly

After replacing mostly all Schukos with CEE 230V/16A I finally and somewhat afraid looked into the mouth of my original EVSE - it's plug that is.

Oh dear, there was a small crater and ring wall around one of the pins looking a bit like crater on moon. Only because the plug was black I had not noticed earlier.

Opening the plug, it was an expensive one, I found they had not used sleeves on the wire ends. One of the wires had turned into a spiral under the screw and all those 16A had to pass through that spiral. It got hot of coarse cindering this side of the plug.

Because crimping sleeves onto the wire ends is so unimaginably expensive we have to life with 10A charging in europe now.

out of tolerance
that is indeed.

So I would not put a spell on Schneider because of ... but I would not call them heroes either.

I dont know about plugs on other continents but I know for sure soldering wires that carry 16A is tricky at best. Solder is a resistor and gets hot enough to unsolder. That is why soldering has been banned at some places. Turning a screw onto unsleeved wires comes close to a criminal act.

I cannot imagine many things to go wrong inside an EVSE but wires really can get screwed and that seems to have happened.

Back