Considering selling my 240V 8A EVSE.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llecentaur

As Citroen offered a 10A following my complaints, I am now facing a dilemma to sell my 8A in order to get a 13 A or send the 8A to Evseupgrade.com to upgrade it to 13 or 16A.

My alternative is to sell it and get a new 13 A unit.

Wondering if anyone would be interested in purchasing this EVSE ? any suggestions how much it is worth as new/second hand unit (4months).

the car plug and cable can stand up to 16A.

A friend can bring it to the US next month.

There should be some very fine printing on the cable leading to the J1772 plug - If you can read it, you'll find out what gauge wire Panasonic used. If it's 16 gauge wire, you can't upgrade it to 16 amps. 12 or 13 amps would be the absolute maximum for 16 gauge wire. If it's 14 gauge, then you're in good shape

I think it's value would depend on the wire size they used . . . .

Don

All EVSEs sold with cars in Slovenia has same sized cables. Only the parts defining current (don't know the name of this part) are different (10 or 16A). Cables 2,5mm2 are more then suitable for 16A current.

In North America (where ALL OEM EVSE's are 120 volts) the Canadian cars came with a 12 amp unit with 14 gauge wire, while the USA cars all came with an 8 amp unit with 16 gauge wires

You can't tell the difference from looking at them - The wire diameters are not that much different, but you cannot do 16 amps with 16 gauge wires at either 120 or 240 volts

Don

Thank you zelenec, I appreciate your support on that. Let me know how to proceed.

Don, the cable reads:

<PS>E H. Yasaki 2011 ESCH-VCTE 300/500V 3G2.5+1x0.75 LFV PbF CE >PVC-KD10<

Thank you for your support.

Llecentaur said:
Yasaki 2011 ESCH-VCTE 300/500V 3G2.5+1x0.75 LFV PbF CE >PVC-KD10<
You're in great shape - Your 2.5 mm2 wire translates to 13 gauge, so your EVSE should be able to be upgraded to 18 amps, if you so desire. That's lots more power than our 3.3Kw charger knows what to do with!

Wish USA cars all came with an EVSE like yours!

Don

Thanks Don.

I hope the upgrade is not a too complicated process. Looking forward to zelenec's feedback.

Still hesitating between 13 and 16 which I understand is anyway limited to 15 or 14 because of the car's charger.

It would be so good to have a button to select Amps according to the mains but I understand this Panasonic model is not designed for that purpose.

Don said:
In North America (where ALL OEM EVSE's are 120 volts) the Canadian cars came with a 12 amp unit with 14 gauge wire, while the USA cars all came with an 8 amp unit with 16 gauge wires

You can't tell the difference from looking at them - The wire diameters are not that much different, but you cannot do 16 amps with 16 gauge wires at either 120 or 240 volts

Don

Here in Canada my OEM charger is 120 V 8 amps. I wish it was 12 amps.

Don....

Zelenec - is your voltage, 220vac, 230vac, or 240vac? Remember, it's the vehicle that limits to maximum current, even though the EVSE may tell the vehicle is has more available. At almost exactly 240vac, my iMiEV's charger draws 3070watts which translates into 12.8A - I so rarely need a faster charge rate, that I consider the differences y'all are talking about to not be very significant in everyday life.

My EVSE draws constantly between 14A and 15A, so 16A is optimal standard EVSE. It comes to small differences if my domestic grid is heavy loaded with thirsty apliances, then my voltage drops to cca 200V and it cause lower EVSE current but never less then 14A.

In my country standard voltage is 240V, but it my area it's really only 220V.

Thank you zelenec,

If I understand Joes' and your last post, 16A seems to be the right upgrade where current would be between 13 and and 14 with 240 v.

Looking forward to your instructions re upgrade.

I *like* that one - The entire EVSE built into the charge handle! Eliminates the special cord between the EVSE and the handle

If only it was 120/240 auto selectable it would be perfect for carrying in the car here in the USA - You guys 'over there' are lucky you only need to deal with one voltage!

Don

Back